· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: DIY Dual Stand

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Default DIY Dual Stand

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have a 37 gallon aqueon tank and would like to get / make some stand that would allow me to house a 29 gallon as well. Ideally it would be awesome if I could get away with something like a 40 Breeder on top and the 37 on bottom but those are completely different dimensions so will probably stick with the 37 & 29 in either order with which is on top.

Does anyone have plans for one or something I can look at? I have seen people using industrial strength garage storage shelving is 36 or 48 inches wide that hold 800+ lbs per shelf but that would still make me nervous.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    I built one from wood. Here is the link to my journal:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=115510

Here is a link to another stand brought by a different person:
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...and-build.html

0 Not allowed!
    You can build a stand to hold two different size tanks, just need to step it out on the bottom and have the lower tank be the bigger of the two

http://diyfishkeepers.com/forum/show...-aquarium-rack

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    You can build a stand to hold two different size tanks, just need to step it out on the bottom and have the lower tank be the bigger of the two

http://diyfishkeepers.com/forum/show...-aquarium-rack
    that setup was bad-ass. I will may doodle something up, and let you guys see if it is feasible.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

0 Not allowed!
    What you are thinking of is very commonly used by people who have marine set-ups with a sump. You would only have to make a few minor adjustments to allow for a open front so you will not have any obstructions to viewing the bottom tank.

I would suggest to plan to have the larger tank on the top to make the framing a little easier

I don't know of any off the shelf tank you can by like that tho
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    wait I am confused some are saying put the larger tanks on bottom and others on top. what do you do when both tanks are the same width - say like a 37 and 29? both are 30" tanks with one being a couple inches taller.
    Current tanks:

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with cliff, you can do it either way depending on how you build it

0 Not allowed!
    The confusing part is that both approaches can be made to work. It all depends on how you want it to look

If you want the large tank on top then you frame it for to hold the larger tank and build almost a stand within a stand for the smaller one on the bottom. If you want the smaller tank on top, then take the approach of the tank rack that Hardy posted about.

When you are building the stand yourself, you can easily make either approach work for you. The important part is to have the structural support to hold the weight.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, it's up to you on the look you like

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I can easily build stuff, now getting proper designs that look nice is a different matter. I tend to go function over form so to speak. I kind of like the idea of a 40B on the bottom and the 37 on top. that way I could line them up on the back side but the breeder would be forward just a bit so I have a little more room for maintenance. The part that would be difficult for me is the 6 inches extra in width.

Now if I were to put a 40B on top then yea the stand in a stand would be easier, but then the top one I think would need to sit a bit higher so that I could get into the 37 for cleaning.

Because for what I am looking at is either a 20, 29 or 40B to go along with the existing 37 - not sure which method would go the best. the 10gallon I am looking at would just go on a different stand I built prior to be used as needed for a fry tank or a qt tank.
    Current tanks: