· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

Default Adding extra media to my HOB filter?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Tetra Whisper Power Filter 60 gallon for my current tank. How easy is it to add additional bio filter media to this to compliment the existing media. Currently it just has its 2 stock coarse sponges and then 2 carbon bags which I change in alternating fashion every 2-3 weeks. ie change one side, wait a few weeks and then change the other side.

once per month I dip the coarse sponges into old tank water during a WC to clean gunk that may build up on and clog them.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA 
    Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus 
    got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 
    So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of us here don't even use the carbon bags except for certain circumstances, such as removing meds from the water...changing them out may be lowering your amount of BB (beneficial bacteria), too.

If I were you I would get rid of the carbon bags and use that space for as much ceramic bio media that will fit into the filter, without hindering the water flow...you want all of your bio media to be below the surface of the water in the filter, too. Just buy some good quialty bio rings or balls, rinse them in tap water, let them dry, and put them in.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    as an added note I tend to have hard water so thats why I thought it would be good to keep the carbon. would it help though to keep it and add those bio rings / balls to the empty bottom area of the filter?
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Awards Showcase

And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA 
    Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus 
    got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 
    So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I have hard water, too, and do not use carbon...you can keep it and add more media if you wish, but I would ditch the carbon and add more ceramic media

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    do i just dump the ceramic media into the filter or should i put in some nylon so I can place it, and after some time rinse it with tank water if I need to?
    Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, use some sort of mesh bag or even nylon hose, if you can...that way it is easier to remove when you wnat to give it a rinse (in tank water, always)

Mrs. Slap found some mesh laundry bags for her "delicates" that work great for bio-media, they come in all sizes...here's a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_50r3rcp7bm_b

You could even use those little mesh nylon bags that fruits and vegetables sometimes are sold in...just be sure ti RINSE WELL what ever you use before adding to your filter

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    That sounds good. While I am in the city tomorrow I plan on picking up some ceramic bio media from the pet shops there. My LFS doesn't actually carry any. It is just a small one guy shop who keeps about 10 tanks for fish he sells and has to order most thinks if it is something he doesn't carry, but he always QT's them for me first for awhile as well. I usually try to buy local first even if it is a buck or 2 more to support the local small businesses. I will probably keep the carbon bags I have on hand (about 10 of them) in the event I ever have to medicate the tank like I did for a small fungus outbreak I had a month of go that go to most of my fish over a weekend. Got that treated and didn't lose a single fish. The carbon helped greatly getting the water cleared back up as well.

and while in town tomorrow, I may swing by the local PetCo. who is having the $1 / gallon tank sale again.... MTS is striking, that or I may just pick up a 10 or 20 gallon for a QT tank. Right now I only have the 1 37 gallon that is in my sig.
    Last edited by FrozenTundra; 01-02-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Good on you for supporting local business, and yes, don't throw your carbon bags away, hang onto them....and THANKS for the heads-up about Petco, KevinVA just told me the same thing!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Another question. I wonder if I should get some of the denser AC or Fluval bio media sponges to replace my current coarse sponge from Tetra? I wouldn't swap it right away though. My plan would be to get the ceramic media to replace the carbon inserts. Wait a few weeks or so. Remove 1 of the 2 coarse sponges and replace it with the new denser stuff, then repeat the other side in a few weeks after that. The only downside is I am not sure what it would do to my water flow?
    Current tanks:

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Default Don'r remove both carbon bags at the same time!

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    That sounds good. While I am in the city tomorrow I plan on picking up some ceramic bio media from the pet shops there. My LFS doesn't actually carry any. It is just a small one guy shop who keeps about 10 tanks for fish he sells and has to order most thinks if it is something he doesn't carry, but he always QT's them for me first for awhile as well. I usually try to buy local first even if it is a buck or 2 more to support the local small businesses. I will probably keep the carbon bags I have on hand (about 10 of them) in the event I ever have to medicate the tank like I did for a small fungus outbreak I had a month of go that go to most of my fish over a weekend. Got that treated and didn't lose a single fish. The carbon helped greatly getting the water cleared back up as well.

and while in town tomorrow, I may swing by the local PetCo. who is having the $1 / gallon tank sale again.... MTS is striking, that or I may just pick up a 10 or 20 gallon for a QT tank. Right now I only have the 1 37 gallon that is in my sig.
    Don't remove both of the carbon bags at the same time, as that is where your BB are currently. If you can add the biomedia with the bags still in the filter, do so. If you have to, remove 1 bag and add your biomedia. Wait about 5 weeks (for the BB to grow on the biomedia) and then remove the 2nd carbon bag and add the rest of your biomedia. If you remove both carbon bags at once you will lose your cycle. Clean your filter before removing the 1st bag and then don't do any cleaning of your filter until you remove the 2nd bag - you can do a complete cleaning at that time.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp, BNP. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"