· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aftermath of Ich

0 Not allowed!
    After almost 3 months of starting the hobby, I had my first fish disease to deal with -- Ich (white spot).

I couldn't believe how fast it happened. One day everything seemed fine, the next day significant infection. I treated with API Liquid Super Ick Cure, although at half the dose since the tank is primarily tetras with a couple of cory catfish, and I raised the temperature to 82.

The different tetras were very differently affected. The black neons had it worst, and they have all died. The x-ray pristillas were next, 50% death rate. The Von Rio Tetras were affected, but seem to be beginning to recover. The Bloodfin Tetras act unaffected. The Glow Light Tetras had some Ich spots, but are acting only slightly affected. The cory cats and algae eaters act unaffected.

Here are my questions:

I assume that after the epidemic, the remaining fish aren't going to look immediately normal. Is that correct? Should I be using Melafix or Pimafix at some point? Or some other med?

How do I know the epidemic is actually over?

Not that I'm in any hurry, but how soon is safe to restock the tank.

Some other details: 36 gallon tank, used Safestart to cycle the tank. Ph = 7.8, ammonia is at reasonable level using the online calculator, nitrites and nitrates are at 0. Using an eheim 2215 filter.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dose for as long as the medication calls for. The spots should be completely gone for about 2 weeks.

Don't restock your tank until you are fully cycled...you aren't even close yet. You HAVE to have nitrates to claim your tank is cycled. I would wager that the die off wasn't just ich related...though that didn't help.

No need to add any additional meds...just make sure you don't have carbon in your filter and do large water changes with dechlorinated, temped water.

What do you consider "reasonable" ammonia? Anything over .25ppm is super toxic.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    Using the online calculator, I am at .15ppm, sometimes less.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    How do you use an online calculator to find out how much ammonia is in your tank? Do you have a test kit?
    Treat for ich at least a week AFTER the spots are gone.
    Do not add any fish in your tank until ammonia and nitrites read 0ppm. The only reasonable level for both is 0ppm. Safestart will not cycle a tank, it may help to reduce stress but that is debatable. The only thing that will cycle a tank is ammonia, either from your fish or from a bottle. Since you are obviously cycling with fish you need to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily and keep those levels down to less toxic levels for your fish. If you don't have a test kit of your own I suggest you get one and keep the ammonia and eventually the nitrite levels under .25ppm.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I use one of the API test kits. My ammonia -- just using the test kit -- has consistently stayed between .10 - .20, usually around .15, and never higher than .20. This is the online calculator: http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/C...reeAmmonia.php

Now I am confused. Azurescriber just said I had to have nitrates, and you say they have to be zero. My nitrates did spike one day, and then went back to 0. My tank is now 9-10 weeks old.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia and nitrite need to be 0ppm and some nitrate needs to be present in order for a tank to be cycled. Sorry for the confusion.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like the tank isn't cycled.

When I first started I thought I was correctly cycled, but I wasn't. I also got whitespot and several fish died ... In retrospect it was nothing to do with the whitespot. Several months later, I got whitespot agai - same treatment, everything survived. I think it was just that my water parameters were now more favourable to survival.

The most important lesson I learned? Never go back to that LFS as both times I got fish there I had whitespot a few days later!
    50g planted: 8x guppy/endler hybrids, 8x black neons, 8x kuhli loaches, 3x otos, 4x pygmy corys, 4x panda corys, 4x neons, Assassin snails + cherry & Amano shrimp

8. Default

2 Not allowed!
    sorry about your problems.
    word of caution. never use heat AND medication. It's either or. That might have contributed to your deaths.
    I've had ich in my tank twice. the first time, I panicked and didn't leave the heat up long enough. Hence, the second outbreak.
    The second time I used only heat (86F). When I saw the last spot, I counted 7 more days before I started gradually reducing the heat. lost no fish and have not had an outbreak since.
    good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    sorry about your problems.
    word of caution. never use heat AND medication. It's either or. That might have contributed to your deaths.
    I've had ich in my tank twice. the first time, I panicked and didn't leave the heat up long enough. Hence, the second outbreak.
    The second time I used only heat (86F). When I saw the last spot, I counted 7 more days before I started gradually reducing the heat. lost no fish and have not had an outbreak since.
    good luck
    Thank you for that info, although I followed the directions which said heat (82) and meds, which resulted in more fish deaths. However, the ich seems to be gone. All my blood fin tetras lived (and were seemingly unaffected), half of my glow light tetras lived, my oto and catfish also continue as if nothing ever happened.

I am frustrated that after 9 weeks my tank is still apparently not cycled (since I have no nitrates).

Ah well. Live and learn.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    Having 0ppm Nitrates could mean you have a very clean tank.
    Do you read any Ammonia and/or Nitrites when you do a test(before a partial water change)?
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.