· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Tiger Lotus dying... any suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a planted tank with everything you need. All my other plants are doing well, but most only require minimal light. I also have eusteralis, anubias, cryptocoryne, and java ferns. I have similar plants in another tank, along with some swords. All those plants are doing well. I have good lighting, macro and micro nutrients and good water conditions.

Good lighting
    Two T5 High Output lights (Zoomed) on for 4-8 hours a day (usually closer to 4-6)
    >>One FloraSun 5000k (pink) specifically for plants
    >>One UltraSun Super Daylight 6500k (white/blue-white)
    >>(My other planted tank has white LEDs and the plants are fine)

Nutrients
    Micro - Two fertilizer sticks on opposite sides of the tank
    Macro - I use Seachem Flourish (comprehensive) almost daily (1/4 of weekly-biweekly requirement) right when I turn the lights on.
    >>(With both the micro and macro covered, a co2 pump is not required)
    >>Also there is 3.5-4 inches of gravel throughout the tank and no underground filter system to interfere with root growth.

Water Conditions
    Water is generally 6.8-7.0 pH, tested weekly
    Filter pumps 15 gph (30 gallon tank) and I have the discharged blocked with foam to slow down the water
    >>(Diverting/slowing the discharge reduces algae which grows where ever you have high water movement)
    Water has been crystal clear, though this past week, cloudy, as my plant started dying. NH3, Nitrates and Nitrites are all normal

Is there something I can do to save my beautiful plant?
    Do you have any experience with tiger lotuses (loti? lotices?) specifically?
    120g Bala and Roseline Sharks, catfish and gouramis
    30g Planted tank with tiger lotus and eusteralis, neons, rummy noses, and rams
    6g Planted tank with eusteralis and swords, bettas and neons
    All my tanks are 6.8-7.0 pH, my two small tanks are live plants only. Working on changing the 120 to live plants.
    Also have 350g pond with koi, but the raccoons found them, so that project is on hold.

1 Not allowed!
    I had a few of these about 7 or 8 years ago. Mine grew really well. I had regular / finer substrate and I had used root tabs for them but stopped using the tabs once their growth really started to take off.

The guy I bought these from (a fellow co-worker at the time) told me not to use rich plants substrate as he never had good luck with that. I have also read that using excel can cause these plants to die off, but I have not first hand experience using excel with a tiger lotus

As these plants are basically a type of water lilly, they like really warm temps, as warm as you can make it for them without harming your fish. You might want to give that a try as well.

Could you post a pic of your plant as well? That might help

I hope this helps

Edit:

I almost forgot to ask, how tall is the tank you have these plants in ? Water lillys like a lot of light and longer lighting periods as well. I had the lights on for mine about 10 or 11 hours. Once they grew, they shaded most of the tank allowing me to keep the lights on for longer periods of time without risking a lot of algae. They also seamed to grow the best once they grew up to the top of the tank so I would think they really like higher lighting levels
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-01-2014 at 07:11 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info.

It is a 30 gallon tank that I keep at 80-82F and the gravel is pretty small. I don't have any sort of tie down or weight on the lotus and its bulb is buried about 1-1.5 inches deep (the gravel is 4 inches deep in the back).

Like you said, the lotus is providing shade to the cryptos, which require less light, while the lotus and eusteralis require a larger amount.

Attached is the picture you requested. The quality is bad because I took it with my phone. And dont mind the guy floating on the top... he was just temporary holding in this tank when I took the picture last night. The lotus looks fine in the picture, but it already lost two leaves and one stalk.

Thanks for the help.

30gal.jpg
    120g Bala and Roseline Sharks, catfish and gouramis
    30g Planted tank with tiger lotus and eusteralis, neons, rummy noses, and rams
    6g Planted tank with eusteralis and swords, bettas and neons
    All my tanks are 6.8-7.0 pH, my two small tanks are live plants only. Working on changing the 120 to live plants.
    Also have 350g pond with koi, but the raccoons found them, so that project is on hold.

0 Not allowed!
    I would move the plant to a more solitary spot where it can get more light. The bottom around the plant seems to be shaded by the anubias. You want to promote growth of low leaves in lotus. If you allow higher leaves than the plant will put more energy into promoting long stemed leaves that reach the surface. (lotus flower on the surface after all.) It can be hard to get them back to a lower more bushy growth pattern that is more attractive in an aquarium.

Also make sure that the top of the bulb sticks up just over the substrate.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I will definitely try that. I will move all the other plants away, and leave the Lotus in the middle, where it can get the most light, along with pulling the bulb up closer to the surface.