· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Thinking...Thinking....

0 Not allowed!
    Thinking about starting another tank...which would be number 3 (4 if you count the snail breeding tank). I definitely want an elephant nose fish, so will be planning the tank around that. Looking for advice about other fish for the tank. I'm planning on getting a 55...or maybe 75 if I can find a good deal. Does anyone have experience keeping these in a community tank? I've read they do well with peaceful fish that are larger than them; what fits that description?
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

29 gallon dwarf puffer tank

Scheming show tank #3....

10 gallon pond snail breeding tank

0 Not allowed!
    Why not do something different and do a species only? Get something with a lot of floor space. Keep it simple, use sand, some smooth branches and plant a few nymphaea zenkeri. Also add a few hands of amazon frogbit but discard those once the zenkeri get going. Keep 5 or 6 of these.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had considered a species only for them but wasn't sure how big of a tank I would need. I know you have to keep either just one, or at least 5 or 6 to avoid aggression among them. I have a species only tank for my dwarf puffers since they don't like other fish. I'd be willing to do am elephant nose species only if the tank size doesn't have to be gigantic to keep enough of them. I'm still a ways away from even buying the tank, just trying to get ideas for stocking if I do a community with them. I read they could be with guorami, but wasn't sure what kind would work best-is it the honey guorami that's the most peaceful? Or some peaceful rams could go in there. Just looking for ideas at this point.

I know they need sand as they are a scale-less fish and that they need perfect water conditions. I already have a filter-recently got my hands on a brand new filstar xp3 (350 gph so good for up to 175 gallon tank...I don't have THAT much room for another tank haha-I wish I did!) So that will be the filter I run on it, with a fishless cycle, of course. And I'm planning on doing live plants, will need plants that are ok in lower light as the elephant nose prefer dimmer light.
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

0 Not allowed!
    keep an eye out for a deal on a 120 (4'x2'x2'), I have seen some great deals on them locally. I am not positive on how many could safely fit in that, but I know with many types of fish you can overstock a little if it is the same species or a species only tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to have a tank that big! Especially if I could get a decent price on it. Not sure I'd love the water changes...In my 46 bowfront community I do approximately a 25% change per week (I have Brazilian Pennywort floating so that helps my nitrates stay low) and in my 29 dwarf puffer tank I do about a 20% change each week (nitrates stay below 10 with that-again, floating pennywort is my best friend :) ) So...going with a 25% change in a 120 gallon...that's a 30 gallon change. Wow! But I can picture the tank in my head...huge with a dark sand substrate (love the look of black sand and the elephant nose apparently prefers dark substrate), live plants, some cool decor (thinking drift wood pieces etc). I will definitely keep an eye out for a deal on one. Are you seeing deals on them at stores or on Craigslist?