· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default RAMs and angelfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Would it be bad to put a ram in with two angelfish? I know cichlids can get quite territorial with each . It's a 40 gallon tank with lots of plants and hiding paces.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You should be Fine with Rams and Angels. The only thing I would worry about is when either of them decide to spawn you'll have some aggression problems. Angels really do best on their own when breeding but it's manageable. I have 1 angelfish with 2 rams in a 37g. I don't have issues but only one breed is trying to spawn.
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii. And soon to be Balansae crypts, and probably more crypts... Blame Compass!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well my two angelfish are both male and they get along GREAT (for whatever reason...). So I would only have one breeding pair if i got the rams and they bred. So I gess they would be fine in my tank? I'd really like to add a third angel but I don't want to overcrowd.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't suggest the 3rd angel. How old are the angelfish? 2 mature males getting along is rarely heard of . (Not saying it's impossible.) If the rams are the only thing breeding you shouldn't have a problem in the least. Rams stay at the bottom to mid-level of the aquarium when the angelfish stay at the upper part of the aquarium. Were you thinking Bolivian rams? German blues? Electric blue Rams? I don't know how experienced you are with these types of fish, but with Angelfish and rams as well, you want to try to keep soft water in the aquarium. This would be a ph of anything from 6.0 to 7.0. 7.0 is neutral, anything above is hard, anything lower is soft. I keep my water at about 6.8 and my fish are happy!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with not adding that 3rd angel. One will surely be the odd one and it would not end well. And I don't think 40 gal is large enough for 3, given their adult size.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The angelfish are 2 years old. I have no idea how it's possible they get along so well. My science teacher had them in a 10 gallon tank together with 5 neons and a guppy and they never had any issues (surprisingly....). I told her how they were definitely not suited for a 10 gallon and took them home over Christmas break. They've never once fought or anything and they get along really well, they're always together!
    Anyways. I won't get the third angel. I kind of knew it was a bad idea but wanted your guys' opinion first.
    @ drew - I was thinking about getting two electric blue rams. My water is kept at a pretty consistent 6.8 and my fish seem to be doing well :) I'm not really super experienced with cichlids. I'm just starting out but I've done hours of research on them since acquiring my angels so I like to think I know a little more than most beginners, not to say I still don't need help with figuring out the do's and don'ts.

1 Not allowed!
    I feel like Angelfish are some of the most misunderstood fish in the industry. So many people have suggested that only keeping one in a tank would be recommended, due to aggression. Yet, I've met several people (even on this forum) who have kept more than one in the same tank without issue. Several fish profiles around the net suggest keeping more than 5 in a group.

I actually just bought 3 angelfish (2 black veils + 1 striped silver/black veil) for my 40B. It's suggested that you use a 48" long tank for a small group, but if you're worried about it, juveniles will be fine. As they mature, you can gauge whether you need to upgrade to a bigger tank (they can grow to 6" long and 8" tall - fin tip to fin tip) or rehome them. A single angelfish or a pair should be fine in a 36" long tank.

A good general rule of thumb with keeping potentially semi-aggressive/aggressive fish is to create different territories in the tank, by dividing up the real estate with driftwood, rocks and plants. What the angels can't see can't anger them. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valuta8 View Post
    @ drew - I was thinking about getting two electric blue rams. My water is kept at a pretty consistent 6.8 and my fish seem to be doing well :) I'm not really super experienced with cichlids. I'm just starting out but I've done hours of research on them since acquiring my angels so I like to think I know a little more than most beginners, not to say I still don't need help with figuring out the do's and don'ts.
    I've never kept Electric blue rams, but I think I read somewhere that Electric blue rams should be the only Rams/Cichlids in the tank due to aggression, But I wouldn't take my word for it. Angelfish are actually cichlids. South American cichlids to be exact. I'm like you, I've done tons and tons of research and reading on cichlids, but my German blue rams are the only cichlids I've ever actually owned. You'd better off doing some research on the EBR then listening to me. I know that EBR are just a different color gene then the GBR so I don't know why you would have any type of aggression problems with them. May be worth trying out!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    I've never kept Electric blue rams, but I think I read somewhere that Electric blue rams should be the only Rams/Cichlids in the tank due to aggression, But I wouldn't take my word for it. Angelfish are actually cichlids. South American cichlids to be exact. I'm like you, I've done tons and tons of research and reading on cichlids, but my German blue rams are the only cichlids I've ever actually owned. You'd better off doing some research on the EBR then listening to me. I know that EBR are just a different color gene then the GBR so I don't know why you would have any type of aggression problems with them. May be worth trying out!
    They don't have to be the only cichlids in the tank, but they can become aggressive. They have the same temperament as GBRs, so they're going to be territorial, especially if mating/breeding. They're bottom dwellers, so they should leave most mid-top swimmers alone, unless their territory is infringed upon (which will happen from time to time). You'll run more of a risk of territory squabbling if you have more than one EBR in the tank. If it's a mating pair, you could be fine, but if not they'll most likely constantly bicker until one of them leaves the tank dead. You're better off with Bolivian Rams which are much less aggressive and can be kept in groups.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    They don't have to be the only cichlids in the tank, but they can become aggressive. They have the same temperament as GBRs,
    See, I didn't think that sounded right. If they're just a different color gene then the GBRs, they should be of similar temperament. I don't know where I read that, but at least I know it's incorrect now. Thank you. @Valuta, I still probably suggest the Bolivian. The Electric blue rams are more aggressive then you probably want in the aquarium.
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii. And soon to be Balansae crypts, and probably more crypts... Blame Compass!