· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Continuing "stocking plans after ..." with photos from LFS

0 Not allowed!
    Following: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=115481

Popped into LFS "just to have a look" this morning. I got 6 black neons for the price of 3 (by the same guy who gave me the free betta - might have to let him know I am married as I don't wear a ring lol!)

I did have a look for all the fish you guys recommended on my other thread, so I could start to visualise. Learning from last time, I took photos this time.

They didn't have anything labelled "Harlequin Rasboras" but they did have "Copper Harlequin" which looked to be very similar. Can anyone give me a positive ID on that?

Also caught my eye the "Purple Harlequin" which looked very similar but a different colour tint? Liked these a lot! LFS guy said mid to top of tank. Any personal experience of these guys? Thought the darker tones would look quite nice, making the guppies the only bright thing in the tank.

These guys were also attractive to me, but the red bling might clash with the guppies.

And finally the little ones with the blue eyes. No tag on them as they were not for sale as only just arrived this morning and by then LFS guy was serving someone else so I didn't want to bother him. A splash of blue could look nice as once the standard neons are gone, so will all the blue!

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    First pic is definitely rasboras...there are several varieties which act basically the same....I think they are harleys. I am always leery of the made-up names pet stores give fish...don't know if those purple rasboras are dyed or natural. Never buy dyed fish!

No idea what those little blue ones are...pic is kinda blurry.

Head and tail lights can get kinda big...what tank size is it again?
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your input!

Tank is 55g but the head & tail are my least favourite anyway.

Don't think my LFS stocks anything that has been dyed so possibly just a slightly darker colour variation? Would def ask if I go for them - am totally against unnecessary interference with animals.

Blue ones are very light grey/transparent except for a dash of blue colour on the eye. They did move a bit too much for my poor cameraphone - that was my best shot!

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    The solution to this issue of are they or aren't they is actually right on the label.

The "true" harlequin rasbora has the scientific name "Trigonostigma heteromorpha"

Now your photo is rather blurry in the label department, but it looks like it says "Trigonostigma espei" which is a closely related fish, but is more commonly known in some parts as the lambchop rasbora. The difference between them is a slight difference in body shape and a slight difference in the black marking on the body.

The Trigonostigma heteromorpha/harlequin rasbora does come in a few color morph variations that are made through selective breeding. One of which is the purple harlequin.

Its always a good idea to make yourself a list that includes both the common name given as well as the scientific name.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Trillianne.

I am ashamed to say I am in the biological sciences ... clearly the excitement of HOBBY makes me not pay attention to anything I would normally take for granted at work haha

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    (by the same guy who gave me the free betta - might have to let him know I am married as I don't wear a ring lol!)
    I always say "don't mess with a good thing", LOL, just kidding....but hey, it IS all girls at my LFS, so maybe I should give it a try (?)

Yeah right, Mrs. Slap would not be pleased, to say the least...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    The first picture is indeed T. espie as Trillianne pointed out, it has all the great chracteristics of the harley, I keep them in my 50 gal and the Harley's in the 75 because I like both but don't want to mix.

The second picture is a color morph of the true Harley, as Trillianne also pointed out, so no need to worry about "dyed" fish if you like this one, I had a small group a few years back that schooled right along with the regular harley.

Head and tail lights (Hemigrammus ocellifer)in the 3rd picture get to be about 2", mostly the females, and are an "old favorite" in the trade, so they will be fine in a tank as big as yours. They are one of the hardiest and easy to keep of the tetra family.

Picture 4 are, I'm pretty sure, Normans lampeye (Aplocheilichthys normani), a fish I've never kept but have heard some great things about, staying small and peacefull and will mix fine with rasboras and tetras. They also look better in a well planted tank than a bare dealers tank as do most fish.
    Last edited by steeler58; 12-30-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the great info!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post

Picture 4 are, I'm pretty sure, Normans lampeye (Aplocheilichthys normani), a fish I've never kept but have heard some great things about, staying small and peacefull and will mix fine with rasboras and tetras. They also look better in a well planted tank than a bare dealers tank as do most fish.
    Norman's are relaxed fish. Do fine in neutral to slightly hard water. Need at least 8 and a lot of cover.

Trigonostigma do best in softish water with some tannins. Your first pic of the fish in the T. espei tank are actually Trigonostigma heteromorpha by the way.

I'd say, unless you got rock hard water, get a dozen of those and pick up some catappa leaf. Add a quarter leaf to the tank to get a bit of colour but not too much and you'll see these fish perk right up.