· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Gas Bubble Disease

1 Not allowed!
    I found out about this "disease" the hard way after losing 4 of my Rosy Tetras today, who were healthy and active for one minute, and deceased hours after a PWC.

If gas bubble disease is what they ultimately succumbed to, it was brought about by my ignorance of maintaing as precise a temperature as possible when doing partial water changes. The deceased fish showed the classic symptoms.

I have searched the internet a bit but have found very little comprehensive information about this affliction, this is the best info I have found so far: http://en.wikivet.net/Gas_Bubble_Disease

Thanks to mommy1 for educating me on what I do believe was the cause of the death of my fish. Maybe someone else can benefit from learing about what I believe was the cause of my misfortune.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck

Perhaps you could try a little trick I learn a few years back. When refilling my tank with a python, I will place the senor for my electric thermometer inside or near the end of the python tube so the thermometer will give me a accurate reading of the replacement water as it enters the tank. That will allow me to adjust the temp of the replacement water using the hot & cold taps so it will match the temp of the tank water.

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff, i appreciate the condolence...I am interested in this "electric thermometer" you mention. I can't really see it in the pic....I usually use a food thermometer to get a very basic temp reading. which is not accurate at all to the degree I should adhere to when filling the tank with fresh (tap) water

2 Not allowed!
    It's a basic Marine (AKA Hagen) aquarium digital thermometer. You can see the suction cup for the sensor at the end of the python hose and the thermometer itself is attached at the top right hand corner of the tank.

Pic of the actual thermometer below

These are fairly common to find in most big box LFS.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    So this is a regular tank thermometer that one would monitor tank temp, as well as mesauring fill water?...all I have now is the float type therm suction cupped to the inside of the tank

My issue invloves the fact that I am stretching the 25' python hose almost to it's full length to fill, from the kitchen sink to the tank in the living room, so with one person, it'd be hard to adjust the temp while standing near the tank, waiting to fill..and far from the faucet..if that makes sense
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-30-2013 at 12:55 AM.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    So this is a regular tank thermometer that one would monitor tank temp, as well as mesauring fill water?...
    Yes, if I am understanding you correctly. You can use it for both. You will get a accurate temp measure of the water where ever you place the sensor (at the end of the sensor wire were the suction cup is). When I refill the tank, I just place the sensor in or near the python so it will show me the temp of the replacement water as it flows by just before it starts to mix with the tank water. Once I am done with the water change, I will just move the sensor back to were I normally have it on the glass on the side of the tank.

1 Not allowed!
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post

My issue invloves the fact that I am stretching the 25' python hose almost to it's full length to fill, from the kitchen sink to the tank in the living room, so with one person, it'd be hard to adjust the temp while standing near the tank, waiting to fill..and far from the faucet..if that makes sense
    I also have a distance to go from my sink to my tank and do changes on my own. What I do is point the "fill" end of the python right back into the sink while I adjust the temp...when I'm happy with the temp I "gently" flip the open/close switch and scoot over to my tank....then fill. :-)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff...are the suction cups you have attached to your python, a python accessory that I've missed...or something you came up with?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Thanks Taurus...so it could have been nitrogen oversuaturation instead of oxygen that caused the fish deaths....that article indicates that you should draw warm water from the tabk and let it sit for several hours to dissipate the gases, but it would no longer be warm when you put it in the tank....also not viable for decent size water changes in large tanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    I also have a distance to go from my sink to my tank and do changes on my own. What I do is point the "fill" end of the python right back into the sink while I adjust the temp...when I'm happy with the temp I "gently" flip the open/close switch and scoot over to my tank....then fill. :-)
    That's exactly how I have been doing it...I am going to get one of those thermometers like Cliff suggested, AND run the airstone everytime from now on while filling the tank. I rarely use the airstone any more, I am glad I have not pulled it out of the tank like I had been planning