· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tea?

Default tea?

0 Not allowed!
    as i was drinking tea and looking at my tanks i thought what would happen if i poured my tea into the tank.
    well i knew that if i poured it in i would get tea coloured tank water that everyone wants.
    and then i went into specifics.
    tea is pretty much dried leave water right? i dont think that can harm my tank.
    caffeine is one thing that poped up. but i thought if i put a couple spoonfuls of tea in a 20g tank, there isn't enough caffeine to diffuse around in my tank. besides i could use more active fish
    i am actully now thinking about giving it a try.
    what do you guys think
    Last edited by vafa; 12-29-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard of using dried oak leaves to darken and soften water in a freshwater shrimp tank but never tea as in out of the bag. If you do decide to try it, keep us informed.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking of getting some organic tea. after I make it put like 1/8 of a cup that has been conditioned with prime in my tank. Then see how my fish react and if I need to I'll be ready for a big water change. Anyone have a problem with going ahead and trying this. Remember I'm not putting a tea bag in there

6 Not allowed!
    I'm not one for experimenting with things in a aquarium if there is a chance you could effect the health of your fish (either long term or short term).

Perhaps you do a little research and find out what type of leaves are commonly found in the waters were your are found in nature and give those leaves a try rather than some tea you can purchase at the local grocery store or have in your cupboard at home.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use oak leaves and pecan leaves for decorations and to add tannins. They'll probably add more tannins than any tea would, plus they grow bio-film that most small fish love to pick at. Just go pick up some clean dry oak and/or pecan leaves that are away from pesticides or herbicides, rinse them, and toss them in. They'll float for a bit, then they'll sink. You want leaves that are dead and brown, not fresh green leaves.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Indian almond leaves work great, good seller on eBay from like Indonesia, I use the leaves in all but my 75 and they work great for adding tannins to the water

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    what would happen if i poured my tea into the tank.

what do you guys think
    What's the point?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    What's the point?
    You'd get darker water which changes the looks. You get tannins which some fish enjoy.

personally I'd go for indian almond (aka Catappa) leaf or bark. Same effect with the added bonus that it prevents a whole lot of nasty things.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, I understand black water and tannins and their benefits and wasn't asking for an explanation to that. The OP seems to want to experiment with his fish to see how they would react to tea and mentions the possible effects of the caffeine with the stained water a secondary benefit of his curiosity. So I am curious, what is the point of his experiment.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

1 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't experiment with animals in your home. Totally unnecessary.

Get catappa/Indian almond leaves or some alder cones. Alder cones are superb if you want tannins...they release loads and stain the water readily.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~