· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Purchasing Aquarium Plants from Ebay?

0 Not allowed!
    My two FW tanks which is a 55g and 20g currently only have hornwort plants in it and they have been growing very very slowly. I've been doing a pretty good job as of the past few months keeping good care of my fish, regular water changes, and treating them for diseases. I'd like to add a low maintenance good for beginner plants to liven up my tanks and thought java fern / anabus plants would be good choices.

My question is - Would it be a better deal to get them from a LFS, place like petsmart / petco or where I have been looking at right now on ebay where I'm seeing free shipping on plants all the way from Malaysia for $3.75 for philiphinno java ferns which look pretty good.

Would like to get some perspective here, thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    I would be a little concerned if your hornwart is growing very very slowly. I had to get rid of mine because it grew so fast it started to take over the tank

What do you have for lighting ?

About a year ago I bought some plants off a friend who placed a big order on E-bay from some vendor overseas. The plants looked almost dead when they arrived but quickly bounced back. It can be a risk depending on the expected shipping time as well as if the weather gets cold during the winter were you are
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I would be a little concerned if your hornwart is growing very very slowly. I had to get rid of mine because it grew so fast it started to take over the tank

What do you have for lighting ?

About a year ago I bought some plants off a friend who placed a big order on E-bay from some vendor overseas. The plants looked almost dead when they arrived but quickly bounced back. It can be a risk depending on the expected shipping time as well as if the weather gets cold during the winter were you are
    I actually don't have covers yet for my 55g, so no lighting. The only lighting it gets is from the sunlight from my balcony, which isn't exactly direct either.

For the 20g, which is actually something I recently decided to start, it does have a cover with LED lighting, but I don't use it at all since this tank happens to be directly next to the balcony and I usually open the blinds during the day.

I haven't been able to find a good deal on a lid yet for my 55g, still looking. Guess lack of proper lighting is the answer to my problem then.

In Florida, so winter shouldn't be that much of a problem although it does get in the low 60s and sometimes mid 55s here (F). However, I keep temperature with both tanks around 75-82 F.

I checked out the reviews on this guy selling it from overseas and he has over 2k people hes already sold with 99.5% rating.

0 Not allowed!
    I have ordered plants from an online dealer whose shipments come in from Indonesia. Be aware that buying plants from Asia means they are normally treated heavily with pesticides. Whilst these will be fish safe, they will not be safe for inverts. If you have shrimp, don't buy online unless you can verify that they are invertebrate safe. It takes a few months for the pesticides to seep from the plants.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    I bought my plants here, with great success...I have moderate lighting, though : http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I bought my plants here, with great success...I have moderate lighting, though : http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/
    This is also where I shop. I have purchased a couple of Dwarf Lillies from probably the same eBay seller you're thinking about buying from, though. They're alive and well to this day, but seemingly easier to ship, since they arrived as bulbs.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I've also bought a lot from here - very satisfied with my purchases.