· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Odd foam on surface of water

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55g with two pieces of driftwood and coral rock. My fish all appear to be normal and active like usual. I've been noticing these odd foaming thats been producing on the top of the water and I'm not sure what it could be from. Before I put my hand in the water, I always make sure to rinse my arm with water for about a minute, then do anything I need to do. It's been going on for a week now, I just did the 55% change in water 2 days ago and it's back again. I've rinsed everything in the tank, except for the long piece of driftwood. Would anyone know what is causing this, if it's safe, and what I need to do to get rid of it, if it is a problem?

I did water level test just yesterday and my levels are:
    7.8 PH, 0 AMMONIA, 0 NITRITE, 2.5 NITRATES

I also cleaned out my EHEIM 2217 canister filter about a week ago and my aqueon filter 3-4 days ago. Please see pics below.20131229_151348.jpg20131229_151355.jpg20131229_151415.jpg20131229_151425.jpg

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    not a lot of bubbles, really, I wouldn't worry about that.

You may be dosing a bit too much prime, or there may just be enough outflow to cause the bubbles...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    not a lot of bubbles, really, I wouldn't worry about that.

You may be dosing a bit too much prime, or there may just be enough outflow to cause the bubbles...
    I'm definitely thinking it may be because of using too much prime. I use a bucket to fill up the tank certain number of times depending on how much I take out during the water changes. This bucket used to be for cat litter (completely cleaned out of course) which shows that it holds exactly 28 lbs (12.7 kg) on the label. On the prime bottle it says use 1 capful for every 50 gallons. I can't top the water in the bucket every time, so I'd say I probably hold about 25 lbs of water. Which means I should be doing dosing the bucket of water with half a cap during each round of topping the tank?Is this correct?

Just want to make sure my math and reasoning is correct here. All this time, I've been using one whole capful with each bucket of water.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your math sounds reasonable.....but....when I do a water change I dose my tank. I have a 50 gal tank....and even though I'm doing a 50% water change....I put one cap (50 gl) in my tank....then add the water. It's a little overkill...but it's my way...works for me. :-)

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    There's really no need to dose more than whats on the label...companies already post generous doses on their labels in order to make sure the product works in all "normal" scenarios, and to make a profit. I see no benefit at all to dosing more than the recommended dose, and in the case of Prime (not real meds) I would tend to round down my doses, rather than up.

And yes, your reasoning is sound on the half cap per bucket...

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If I'm reading this correctly you're dosing a half cap per bucket . A half capful is for 25 gallons not pounds . 25 pounds of water is nearly equal to 2.5 gallons . Your kitty litter bucket held 28 pounds of litter . When I change some water in any of my tanks I use 1 cap in either of the 55 gallons , 1.5 caps for my 75 gallon , and .5 of a capful in my 20 gallon. I hope this helped a little , IMO if you are dosing a half cap for every bucket your using more than you need to .
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    could be the foods you are feeding. excess amounts of cheap foods can cause a film or foam on the surface.
    Thar she blows!!!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    wups yah elty is right...a gallon of water weighs approximately 10 lbs...half a cap is correct for 25 gallons not for 2.5...misread that.