· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: BBA Issues?

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default BBA Issues?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my 10 gallon was growing some BBA. It was growing on one of my clay pot caves, that was directly under the flow of the filters, and on the filters themselves. I removed those filters a week ago and replaced them with a cycled Aquaclear and also completely cleaned the clay pot cave of algae. I was hoping this would combat the algae, as well as me not dosing ferts any longer. But lately its shown up in small tufts on my plants, on my clay pot caves, and on the Catappa leaves in the tank. It isn't a whole lot, just small tufts here and there but its starting to get really annoying.

What causes BBA and is there any way to get rid of it? I haven't ever had an issue with my lighting being too strong and I only have my lights on for 9 hours a day. The only ferts in the tank are roots tabs that I have for my crypts. I just replaced a root tab for one of my plants, I might have put it in early though. Could the extra tab be an issue and should I try to remove all of the root tabs present and replace them with one new one to be sure?

Please help me out you guys, I'd like to combat this issue before it escalates.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    10 Gallon Planted: 1x Apistogramma trifasciata, 8x Nannostomus marginatus
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi, 3x Otocinclus vittatus

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    9 hrs is kinda high for a non co2 tank id cut back the lighting by 2 hrs. To get rid of the algae off the tank id do a peroxide soak on the plants and decor. My crypts did fine in 2ml/g solution for 30 mins. Do a test fist tho. Decore you can leave in over night with a higher dose.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    How old are your lights? The spectrum slowly alters as lights age, and starts to favour algae growth after awhile. Perhaps you are due for new bulbs...?

0 Not allowed!
    Blackbeard algae require low phosphate and low Co2 setups to flourish and even then they will generally do best in areas with low flow.

A smidgen of phosphate and a liquid co2 regimen work for most cases of bba.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Okay I think I can get some liquid phosphate and start dosing. I just checked and it seems a lot of the algae is gone since my last water change about 10 hours ago. That's odd though. Also like I said I upgraded my tank to an Aquaclear 30 so there's no dead spots in the tank any longer. I'll cut the lighting on the tank back an hour and see how that affects it. Unlike most people I prefer having at least 8 hours of light for my fish. Even if they're not sleeping for the entire length of the night period I still like having a schedule that's at least semi-natural for them.

@genocidex I can't soak the plants in peroxide as that would involve removing them and I just finally got them to start growing nicely again. Its not a lot of BBA on them, its only minuscule little tufts here and there.

Question, do Otos eat BBA? Because I just witnessed a couple of my Otos eating away at a Catappa leaf that had BBA on it.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    10 Gallon Planted: 1x Apistogramma trifasciata, 8x Nannostomus marginatus
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi, 3x Otocinclus vittatus

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    Otos will eat a lot of things but they're not keen on bba.

If you do decide to dose phosphate then
    1. See about getting powder, KH2PO4 for example. Some pharmacies may have it, otherwise try ebay or if you know a highschool chemistry teacher ask them. 20 grams would already be a lot.
    2. Make a solution to increase your tank by 0.5 ppm for starters and start by doing it weekly just after your water change.
    using: http://tinycalc.petalphile.com/
    To reach your target of 0.5ppm PO4, you'll need to add 2.712 grams of KH2PO4 into your 500.0 mL container.
    Each 5.0 mL of that mix into 10.0 gal is: