· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default fins flared vs down?

0 Not allowed!
    A few of my Tigers always swim around with their dorsal fins fully flared. The others keep them down most of the time. What does that mean?

0 Not allowed!
    Pictures would help. I have never kept tiger barbs before, so I don't know how they normally swim. It could be that something is stressing the majority so they swim with fins clamped, or it could be that the minority has some kind of physical defect that makes them unable to retract their fins. Its not all that far fetched. I've had this occur with another cyprinid, the White Cloud Mountain minnow. Certain fish had their dorsal and anal fins permanently extended, possibly due to bad genetics or something environmental where they were raised. Or it could also be that the ones that keep flaring are the dominant ones.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmm…I was thinking it was a dominance thing.

0 Not allowed!
    That was one of my hypotheses, however, even the dominant fish will not flare all the time. They might spend a more than average amount of time with their fins extended, but not all the time, and fin position will vary, sometimes retracted, fully extended, or at half mast. If you are talking about a stiff, rigid fin position that never seems to change, that might be a physical defect.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I shouldn't have said "always" flared…just "a lot of the time flared"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've never kept barbs, but I've seen them do that in people's tanks, and it looks pretty much identical to how my pencils act a lot of the time. I'd say probably a dominance thing, basically just them saying that they're alpha fishies.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae