· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen too low?

1. Default Oxygen too low?

0 Not allowed!
    Recently ive lost a few fish, I lost 1 Galaxy Rasbora which I saw sitting on plants at the surface then the next day died, I lost a white cloud mountain minnow which sat on the bottom before dying, and today I lost a pentazona barb which recently had been sort of sitting slightly upright in the water. My other barbs have been acting strangely for weeks, they seem very timid and just sit amongst my plants, only coming out when I feed them.

So I have tested nitrate and nitrite, nitrite is at 0 and nitrate is between 5 - 20 (hard to tell). I dont currently have a test kit for ammonia, but I have one for Oxygen so tried it and it came out at somewhere between 2 - 5 mg/l. I dont have an airstone I only have the filter output at the surface of the water which disrupts the surface.

Im wondering if the Oxygen level is a little low? Could this be causing my fish deaths? I do a 30% water change every week, and the tank is quite heavily planted with a simple co2 unit.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2 Not allowed!
    Well, according to another website "A level of 4 mg/L is considered low and getting potentially deadly." so my guess would be that you are poisoning your fish with CO2. Do you have a CO2 drop checker? If not, get one, and do not use injected CO2 without very carefully monitoring the levels. I imagine that at those levels your plants are thriving and your fish are quickly suffocating.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    I concur with FF. I'm willing to bet your CO2 unit might be malfunctioning. If you didn't say you had one, I would have gone a different angle, because the filtration + plants should provide plenty of dissolved oxygen in the water column.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    You shouldn't have oxygen issue during the day if it is a heavily planted aquarium. However, at night your plant will use oxygen in the aquarium. You could turn on an air stone at night.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The co2 unit is only a simple one, it is just a container with an open bottom, you fill it with co2 from a canister then when it go down you just sqeeze on the canister to refill it. Aquarium store guy told me with this system plants only use what they need, though to be honest this doesnt make any sense to me.

I can try taking the co2 out and see if that makes a difference, though im sure my barbs were acting strangely before I put it in.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Remove the CO2 and re-test your O2 content.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    I had a LFS guy tell me the same method, I honestly don't buy it, otherwise the plants would just get what they need from the surface of the water. CO2 needs to be infused with the water to really work well. Remove the CO2, add an air stone for a bit and keep an eye on the fish

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK I removed the co2, now during the night o2 levels read around 5mg/l, and in the day they are around 8mg/l.

However one of my Pentazona's is still acting strangely, I did a quick video so you can see (full screen makes it easier to see)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
    OK I removed the co2, now during the night o2 levels read around 5mg/l, and in the day they are around 8mg/l.

However one of my Pentazona's is still acting strangely, I did a quick video so you can see (full screen makes it easier to see)

Odd, it looks like he's struggling to breath and stay mid-level. What are your other params at? Temp, etc?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
    The co2 unit is only a simple one, it is just a container with an open bottom, you fill it with co2 from a canister then when it go down you just sqeeze on the canister to refill it. Aquarium store guy told me with this system plants only use what they need, though to be honest this doesnt make any sense to me.

I can try taking the co2 out and see if that makes a difference, though im sure my barbs were acting strangely before I put it in.
    I know those systems. Unless you make a serious error filling it (which would have all your fish gasping) it's not the issue.

What I see in the vid... gut feeling is internal parasite of some kind.