· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Brown Hair Algae In A Filter?

0 Not allowed!
    This is in my AquaClear 70 that's in my 30 gallon planted tank. Should I clean it out or leave it as is?

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    It's not doing any harm, so you could leave it. Most folks just find it unsightly. But the algae is using excess nutrients in your system, so its of some benefit as long as those nutrients persist.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    The reason that stuff grows is because you have excessive nutrients of some type. While if this is only in your filter, it may start appearing in the tank if the nutrients levels climb any more. Could be phosphates of some type since both fish and fish food release this into the tank and substrates tend to absorb this and then slowly release it. You should check the nitrates since that may also be the cause. If the nitrtaes are low (under 3-5 ppm) than very likely the phosphates are high - even large water changes do not easily hold phosphates down for very long. If the stuff starts growing in the tank, I can offer a fix. For now, just check the nitrtaes and consider larger water cahnges.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's my reading. I took it just now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    That looks off, especially for a planted tank. Did you shake the bottle and tube for the full amount of time? Is your test kit expired?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrates that high are only possible only if your test kit is failing or the tank's water changes are far too small or done too rarely. Consider getting another kit and if that shows such a high result than your water changes are far, far too rare/small or both. Nitrtae levels above 40 ppm can harm fish.
    Last edited by Cermet; 12-29-2013 at 11:06 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did a thorough cleaning of the filter to get rid of the white stuff. Hard water deposits? I don't see how. I rearranged the plants, trimmed, and propagated. Did a 30% pwc. I see one of my female Tiger Barbs have fin rot? Fins look white at the ends and deteriorating.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The test is brand new. Even the strips gave off high readings. I shook and banged the bottle till my arms were sore lol.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank's nitrates are far too high. This would partly explain the fin rot; more to the point is the amount of water you change in the tank is not enough - you need to do a near 100% water change; then stir the substrate and do an other near 100% water change (I bet a lot of nitrogen and organics are buried in the substrate.)
    You may need to do better vacuuming procedures when cleaning the tank (that means also stiring the substrate besides vacuuming the stuff off the top of the substrate) and you especially need to increase both the size and number of water changes for the tank. Nitrates should never get up or exceed 40 ppm. Best (for algae control) to keep them below 10 ppm and under 5 ppm is ideal for most fish.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since the fish are "used" to high nitrates, would it shock the fish with a big wc?
    Attached Images Attached Images