· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

Default Stocking ideas for 37 gallon including Blue ram and angelfish?

0 Not allowed!
    I just got a 37 gallon aquarium (upgrading from a 20) and I need some stocking ideas. In the 20 I currently have 1 blue ram, and 6 cardinal tetras. I also plan on getting 2 bristlenose plecos and 1 more blue ram so I have a pair. And for stocking for the 37 gallon, me and my family have pretty much all made are minds up that we want an angelfish. So my current stocking idea is 1 angelfish, 2 blue rams, 6 cardinals, and 2 bristlenose'. By my calculations of the inch per fish rule and general common sense. I have room for a few more fish. I don't want just some more schooling fish either. My idea was 3 or 4 more 4-6 inch fish that would swim in the middle/top area of the tank. I thought of 3 boesemani rainbows but after some research I figured that wasn't the best option for my tank. I also thought of a mix of 3 or 4 acei cichlids and yellow lab cichlids, but the only problem there is some people say they only get 4-6 inches, and others say 7-9 inches. So I'm really at a loss at what to do. Thanks for the help in advance! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    4-6 inch fish? How big is this 37 gallon?

You're mixing hard and softwater fish. If you do get a pair of rams and they breed they will claim a large part of the tank. If your bristlenose breed what are you going to do with the young.

Why not up the shoal of cardinals to 15 and leave it at that?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Thank you for all the plant advice - showmebutterfly   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Here is my thought on this:

I'm assuming it is a 37 Cube.

I'd get 1 BN Pleco, pick a different one, like a Green Phantom or Red Calico or maybe a longfin

I'd stick with 1 ram, just putting 2 together doesn't guarantee any sort of pairing and can lead to fighting, while you have the space for two, it can be difficult to get it to work

Don't get the rainbows - any rainbows other than maybe the furcata rainbows get too large and need a min of 4-6' of tank space

Don't get the cichlids

My final stock plan for this would be:
    1 Ram
    1 BN Pleco
    1 Angel (again choose a less common variety)
    15 Cardinal Tetras

Oh - and 1 last thought... the 1" per gallon rule - throw that out of the window, light it on fire and run it over with a car.... would you put a 10" oscar in a 10 gallon tank? Just saying that rule doesn't take many factors into account and is greatly outdated

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The tank 30" by 12" and 26" tall. I can predict both of those stocks will make the tank look basically empty besides the angel and a few fish down at the bottom. I'm not getting anymore cardinals. I know the inch rule rarely helps anyone, but it's good to go off of and adjust accordingly. I planned on getting to plecos of the same sex. At night the plecos will eat the rams eggs so aggression will be very short termed. I also have a 70 gallon filter so if I was to overstock the smallest bit my filter could EASILY handle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Thank you for all the plant advice - showmebutterfly   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    just my $.02 - but having had german blues trying to breed in my 75, the plecos did not eat the eggs.

A tank on 30" wide really shouldn't have anything too big in it, your controlling dimension is 12", typically you wouldn't do any fish that gets larger than 4" in that.

You could do maybe 2 angels. But there is a high risk of aggression doing that.

If you would be ok scrapping the idea of the angel fish, you could do a school of congo tetras... your tank size is not ideal for them, but they would fit the bill of what you are looking for.

Congos grow to be around 3" long, the males are very colorful, aggression isn't an issue.

Try this stock:
    2 Rams
    1 BN Pleco
    6 Cardinals
    6 Congo Tetras

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would be ok with scraping the angels, but not for just another schooling fish. Any few colorful fish that got maybe 4 or 5 inches. I know it doesn't have a lot of depth, but I think a fish even up to 6 or 7 inches would do ok. But with that said I still don't want to do a fish anything above 6 inches.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    at this point I really can't help you. I don't think anything larger than the congos or angels would be appropriate for a 37g tank.

While there are options that are 4-6" (discus, rainbows, gourami) I really don't think it would thrive in that tank.

Sorry, that's just my opinion

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What if I did maybe 2 Acei Cichlids and 1 electric yellow lab? According to a couple sites I've looked at (Petsmart, yahoo, liveaquaria, Wikipedia) They are both VERY peaceful, and only get 5 to 6 inches. I know I'm probably being hard to work with. But I'm very tired of tiny schooling fish. I really want a nice, colorful fish, with a personality. This is my first decent size tank too, so I really want something with some size to it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Re-home the cardinals and the ram then, and make it a cichlid tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    +1 - that appears to be what you're leaning towards at this point. Wanting fish that grow to a certain size is one thing - having a tank that can accommodate that size long term is another. Plus, there are compatibility issues to be concerned with as I'm sure you are aware.