· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My new nano project. Check it out!

0 Not allowed!
    I have had a biocube 14 gallon for about six months now. I love it but its time to upgrade. I am working on setting up an old 20 gal high i had kickin around in the basement and moving all my livestock from my biocube into that. My corals are outgrowing the biocube and i need more room to work. CAM00179.jpg This is my biocube before my frogspawn and hammer were growing out of the top of it. My plan is to outfit the 20 gallon with truelumen pro led strips, run a fluval 306 canister with liverock in it (kind of like a mini sump), and over skim the hell out of it (i already purchased a reef octopus bh 1000 hob skimmer). If anyone has any suggestions im open to feedback. Thanks in advance. i will be posting pics as i progress with this project. enjoy!

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear your clown fish will be getting a proper sized home.

I do not think that skimmer will work on a 20 gallon tall. A typical 20 gallon high is 16 3/4 inches tall while the Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB skimmer is 17 inches tall.

I would suggest a HOB skimmer with around 5 to 10 X air flow to tank size ratio and a water flow rate of around 4 to 6 times the tank volume. For example, for a 20 gallon tank, you would want a skimmer with a airflow capacity of 100 to 200 LPH and a water flow of 80 to 120 GPH.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    THanks cliff for the info i already have the skimmer and from what ive read on it the bh 1000 should work on my 20. but im sure you know more than me on this subject so why does the height of the skimmer have to match the tank? Thanks in advance for your response

0 Not allowed!
    Only that if the skimmer is taller than the tank, it might not be able to hang off the back. It may or may not fit depending on where the on lip on the skimmer is to rest on the rim of the tank.

I protein skimmer is basically a mechanical approach to biological filtration. I would think that skimmer would be too big for your set-up, meaning that I believe that skimmer won't skim enough to get the waste up its neck and into the collection cup. There most likely won't be enough wast in the tank for the process to work correctly resulting in nothing getting skimmed out. If the waste would never get skimmed / foamed to the top, it would remain in the neck building up and falling back into the water. If the wast were to build up in order for that skimmer to work correctly, I would think you have some bigger problems with your set-up

The blow should help

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    are you saying that because the skimmer is big it will only skim large amounts of waste, and if there isnt large amounts of waste to skim it wont skim at all?

0 Not allowed!
    There is a very good risk that skimmer may not work very well at all on a tank that small with such a small bio-load as compared to what that skimmer is meant/should be able to handle. Typically you can run into some difficulties when using equipment in ways they were not designed to be used

I ran into this same type of problem when using a skimmer that had a air flow and GPH flow rate well over the amounts I listed in a earlier post (about 3 to 4 times more). That skimmer worked great on my 90 gallon set-up but would not work at all on my 20 gallon QT tank. After researching it for a while to figure out why, I soon learned skimmers work best when you properly size them to your set-up based on the airflow and the GPH flow rates (not the manufacture's recommendations either).
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you cliff i did not know that. do you have any suggestion on what skimmer i should use? preferably one with an external pump

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps a AquaC remora nano HOB skimmer. I has a external pump. Try to find one without the pump included and get a Maxi-jet 1200 pump for it. I have used that exact set-up on my 20 and 40 gallon QT tanks with great success

They can be noisy skimmers, but there are simple solutions to correct that

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i do like the remora skimmers i have heard alot of good stuff about them. Why did you get a biiger pump for it? the maxi jet 900 doesnt do a good job?

0 Not allowed!
    It will, but a 1200 will be a little better and be better suited for your planned set-up. The AquaC remora is a spray injection based skimmer. The more flow from the pump, the better job it will do. The nano version of this skimmer preforms best with the 1200 on a moderately stocked 20 gallon tank, or a very lightly stocked 40 gallon.