· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Got a 29 biocube for Christmas! Wooo!

0 Not allowed!
    So I officially have the best parents ever. I got another tank for Christmas! It's another 29 biocube, and this one's gonna be a freshwater microfish tank. At least two kinds of microrasbora, celestial pearl danios, dwarf cories, maybe some pygmy cories, sparkling gouramis, and cherry shrimp.
    Microrasboras and CPDs are around the same size, so let's say I get about 15 pygmy cories and 3 sparklers. How many microrasboras and CPDs could live in there with them?
    Is it correct that cherry shrimp pretty much don't have a bio-load, no matter how many you have?

Here are some sticks, and also part of a deer skull that I plan to include.

Here's the tank with some sticks to size-compare them.

I don't really think I'll use those sticks, now that I've considered it. I plan to get some hole-filled rock and put it in around the back, possibly with some large plants tucked around the rocks and some crypts around the sides.
    I'm planning to use a sand that's a mix of black and white grains, sort of gray-speckled, and I need to find a type that's very soft for the cories. Can you recommend a brand of sand that's cory-safe?
    I may have a decent number of leaves tucked into places to tint the water slightly to help keep the fish calm.
    Ooh... Marbled hatchetfish? Maybe... Tempting.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2 Not allowed!
    so few tips on my part:

1. Yes shrimp do have "some" bio-load but it is small
    2. Stick with 1-2 schools of microfish - large schools look better than a few small ones
    3. Go with Cory Habroseus - I LOVE mine
    4. I'd recommend pool filter sand - if you want a darker color I have the eco-complete black sand in my 10s, it is expensive and gets dirty easy, but looks nice and is extremely soft
    5. Use indian almond leaves, toss 3-4 in there and the shrimp and corys will love it
    6. Don't speckle the sand, will be hard to see the black and white corys on it
    7. My stocking thoughts: 20 Corys (habroseus or dwarfs), 10-15 chili raspboras, 10 otocinculus, and maybe 10-15 of the CPDs (never had them but have seen them)

Consider http://msjinkzd.com/ for the fish, but let me know when you want shrimp, I know a guy that does 30 (ish) shrimp for $25 shipped.

With all of these fish, you need to make sure you properly cycle this tank, then add the two schools (raspboras and CPDs) then corys then shrimp then otos

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, thanks for the advice!
    I think I'm going for dwarf cories, since they stick to the bottom instead of acting like rasboras.
    I'm actually going to have some oak leaves tucked into a spot behind a rock to tint the water a little and because most little fish seem to like the bio-film.
    I like ottos, but I think I'll reserve those for my main tank. I've got a few pretty nerite snails who can clean the algae for me, and unless I find zebra ottos (which I'd want in there so I could display them) I think I'll just keep ottos in my 65.

For cycling; I keep a few extra filter cartriges in my 65 filter for things like this, and I put a little 2X3" cartrige from there in the first compartment of the bio-cube filter. I think that'll be enough bacteria for the three nerites I'm about to add, am I correct?
    I'm going to add a bunch of 3" crypts that are currently in my 65 to the biocube, something like 17-23 of them. Do you think that'll transfer enough bacteria for something like 7 pygmy cories? Those are what I plan to add first, since they're easiest to locate.

So I couldn't quite decide on sand color, but I had an idea at the pet store. The tank now has about an inch and a half of white sand, then anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" of black sand on top. I'm going to let the pygmy cories, plants, and so-on stir it up as they please, and we'll see how it ends up looking. I stirred up a tiny patch with my finger, and I think it'll look pretty cool, but I don't have any pictures because you can't see much right now due to the fogging.

These are the first inhabitants of the tank. Two miscellaneous nerite snails that I picked up when I went to get the sand, and a horn nerite. I have another horn nerite in my big tank, but I can't find it yet, I'll have to get it tomorrow.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Found a sponge filter sponge in my big tank, stuffed that in the first filter compartment, and added some plants. Since I figured that would be enough bacteria for some fish, I've got fish in there. Scored some centerpiece fish... Wanna guess what they are?
    Pseu----g-l ge--ru--e

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I decided against the nerites, they all just looked out of place... Too big. I put them in my 65 instead, even though I don't think I'll really see them that often.
    Added three MTS to the tank so they can stir the sand a little bit for me. If they start going insane, I can toss an assassin snail in there.
    I think I saw a baby trapdoor snail in there. I saw some adult trapdoors in the tank with the plants that I bought, and then I saw a fat little baby snail in my bio-cube. They were pretty trapdoors... First third light blue, second third a mix of light blue and brown, last third brown.

0 Not allowed!
    Any picture update of the tank?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!

Here you go! It's a bit cloudy still, but the fish don't seem to mind. That little fishy there is a pygmy cory who refuses to believe that he's a cory, just like the others. They act more like a cross between cories and tetras.
    I decided to go ahead and mix up the sand, since the black sand is a bit large for the teeny pygmies, and I like how it looks now. The odd trails are from MTS crawling around.
    Plants:
    Vals
    Crypts
    Hairgrass
    A smallish swordplant species that has a long name starting with U
    Foxtail (the fuzzy stuff)
    A few random oak leaves
    Nothing too unusual, although the sword isn't something I've seen before.
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 12-29-2013 at 02:36 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Went to Petsmart today. Pointed out some guppies with a fungal infection, found a crawdad in the feeder goldfish tank, bought a test kit and some plants.
    Added two small bunches of guppy grass and a bunch of cute little red crypts to my tank, then tested the water. Uh oh.

PH 7.6
    Amm. 0.25
    Ni 0.50
    Na 10

And I can't find four of my five chili rasboras. Yes, I checked in the filter. Dangiiitt....
    I changed a third of the water, yes. I suspect the deer skull is responsible for the PH being four points higher than we get out of the faucet, so I've taken it out. I'll seal it really well with epoxy, then I'll put it in a bucket and see if it changes the PH in there. I really hope this works, I think that skull looks awesome.
    The fish look okay, including the one chili rasbora I can still see, so I'm hoping no more losses. I suspect my four other chilis are probably dead...
    From these readings, it looks like the ammonia-eating bacteria are about established and the nitrite spike is next. I will be doing daily tests and water changes from now until things get better. What puzzles me is the fact that I have nitrates... Maybe there just wasn't enough bacteria on the two filter cartriges I added to the tank.
    Now I feel like an impatient rat. Sorry, fishies...

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, there's another chili rasbora out now. I'm hoping maybe that means the rest are hiding too? I kinda doubt it, though...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today I got all the fish out of there and put them in a hatchery in the main tank. It's not optimal, since they're kind of low on space, but it's better than the toxins. I thought all my chilis were gone, then I poked a plant and one raced out. I haven't found any more so far, but I'm hoping that maybe I just didn't see them or they're hiding in the filter. I didn't see them in the filter, but maybe they're just good at hiding? I kinda doubt it.

PH higher than 7.5
    Amm. around 0.10
    Ni about 0.25
    Na about 8

So that's better. I tested our tap water... Wanna guess? 8.1. Apparently our water softener isn't working any more or something like that.