· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hope like hell I can get my hands on it then!

Do I continue to keep the tank in darkness?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Peche View Post
    I've never put that medication in before though.

Plus, several others in the tank have been infected by velvet.
    By the way you worded one of your other posts, I understood that you had already used the copper based med (snail kill) in your tank

As you have not used the copper yet, either Prazi-pro or ParaGuard should work very well for treating velvet. Both of those have worked well for me in the past.

leaving the tank in darkness will help the fish to stay calm. A larger water change could also help right now as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, I apologise for that poor wording!

I meant that I have never put it in before this outbreak of velvet.

Out of desperation I put it in on the night of the 24th, which is when I discovered the infection.

Should I give them any food?

Is there anyway to track the source of this parasite?

1 Not allowed!
    Try feeding them. After they have had a chance to eat and settle down a little, change as much of the water as you can without causing to much stress so you can remove the copper and help you fish recover until you can treat them. I would suggest about 80% tonight and another 80% one early tomorrow. This will not only help to control the spread of the parasite to other fish while in its free swimming and reproductive stages, but the fresh clean water will also help the open wounds in the other fish (caused by when the parasite leaves their body) to heal up faster.

That should at least help until you can get some Prazi-Pro to treat the tank with (do not use paraguard as it may react to trace amounts of copper)

I would also suggest adding a airstone (if you do not already have one) to keep the oxygen levels as high as possible

Edit: I forgot to answer your other question. As some fish can have a more natural ability to fit off this parasite, they could have been carrying it in their gills for a fairly long time without any viable symptoms on their bodys. After a while, this type of situation can wear down their immune system to the point the infection spreads to their skin as well as / or spreading to other fish in the aquarium
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-25-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The internal filter has a venturi outlet that pumps in a lot of air constantly. I'm hoping that will be enough!

I will do the 80% water change first thing tomorrow morning. Will adding Prime help at all?

I've given them some food whilst they are in darkness so that should keep them for a while. With some luck the store will be open tomorrow and will have stock of that product. Usually the only medicine you will find in Jo'burg is the three I mentioned made by Daro.

Response to edit: thank you very much for your help! I noticed it first in the Ancistrus but it seems to have hit every other fish except for my Gouramis and Angelfish.

I have also planted the tank a few months back so are there any precautions that I should take there?
    Last edited by Richard Peche; 12-25-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Awards Showcase

Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff, if the OP has one, would a carbon pad/filter help remove the copper from the water column?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do have a Purigen filter cartridge...

0 Not allowed!
    Prime would not help with the velvet.

If you can not find prazi-pro, get the best anti-parasite and anti-bacterial medication that you can find which will not react with trace amounts of copper. A anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic med specifically formulated for gram negative bacteria could also work.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Peche View Post
    I do have a Purigen filter cartridge...
    As the purigen has carbon in it (mostly carbon I believe) it will remove at least some of the copper, but not all.

I would still suggest both of the water changes and remove the purigen just before using the medications you will get tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-25-2013 at 08:48 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will do that as soon as it is physically possible!

Is this parasite fatal? If so, how long does it take?

The other question I need to ask is how do I see this thing before it becomes a severe infection? Any behaviour indicators etc.

I never want to subject them to this again!
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!