· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Bamboo Shrimp

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie 
    Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx 
    otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 
    TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Bamboo Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    My LFS now has Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) in stock. I have been reading about and researching these shrimp and find them to be quite interesting, and am considering buying one for my 40 gallon breeder. I have driftwood that reaches up to the output current of my canister filter, so there are already places for the shrimp to perch and filter feed

If anyone here has experience with Atyopsis, I would be very glad to hear your opinions, thoughts, and suggestions on keeping these guys happy and healthy. Are there any specila foods that they require?

Thanks in advance
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I have one in my 75g planted tank. The filter outputs in that tank are vertical tubes with holes drilled in them in the back corners. 90% of the time the shrimp hangs out in a pile of java ferns back by the filter. However, when I turn off the pump to do a water change, it comes out and wanders around. I don't feed it anything special, there's plenty of particles zipping around in my tank. It molts every now and then which always makes me think it's dead for a second. It lost a leg a while back, not sure how, but it grew back after the next molt.

It's a fun critter to have even if I don't get to see it all that much.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie 
    Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx 
    otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 
    TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info Brhino, I appreciate it. Any tips on picking a healthy specimen for purchase? About all I have read in my research is to find one that is actively "fanning" for food, and that has all of it's appendages, lol. I know that they grow quite large (for a shrimp), and was thinking of buying a smaller one so that we could watch it grow, I have read about the moulting process and how they prefer to hide when gowing through the moult. I have plenty of hiding places in the tank for this.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I've read that bamboo shrimp die quite often in people's tanks because they don't feel "secure" enough to open up and start filter feeding, so they starve. Most of the time this is caused by boisterous stock and not having any tank area where the shrimp can quietly keep to itself. Sounds like you have a good tank to provide for it though, Slap, so you shouldn't need to worry.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Any tips on picking a healthy specimen for purchase?
    don't really know much about that. My LFS only had 2 or 3 in a tank crawling over a sponge filter, and I asked for one in particular. They seem to have color and pattern differences from one to the other, so I just picked the one that I liked the look of best.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys, they are really neat little creatures, I think that we are going to try one

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't put them in a new / not riped tank cause they feed on tiny food parts that are in the watercolumn. I have two in a communitytank, but still asking myself if that's a good idea. I am using some very fine granules (breedingfood) to be sure they will get enough. When theybstarting to get food from the bottom, they are hungry. They'll eat India Almondleaves (when soft) as well !!!
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks DD, they will be going into a well established tank, with lots of bits and pieces floating in it like Brhino's tank. Mrs. Slap and Lauren went by the LFS yesterday while out shopping, to buy a sweater for our dog Ginny for Christmas, and snapped a quick pic for me. They are only $5.99 each, so I may get a pair instead of just one. Won't be until may Thursday or Friday, though

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    If anyone here has experience with Atyopsis, I would be very glad to hear your opinions, thoughts, and suggestions on keeping these guys happy and healthy. Are there any specila foods that they require?

Thanks in advance
    These shrimps don't travel well and shops take terrible care of them. Steer clear of any that are poking the bottom with their fans. if you find a good one also buy some fry food, liquifry for example.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks dutchie.....yes, I have read that these are wild caught only, and that the stress of travel and poor care in the shops can take their toll...thank you for the advice about the fry food, I will look into getting some if I decide to purchase one of these shrimp.