· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help With Newly Dirted Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I just got a new 29 gallon tank and am in the process of setting it up and will be moving fish from my 10 gallon to it. I bought top soil from lowes and am planning to do a planted tank. I let the soil soak for a couple day, removing excess water to eliminate floating particles and some tannins. I have now moved the soil to the tank, covering it with a layer of sand before filling it up. The water is very cloudy and I'm just wondering what my course of action should be to make the tank suitable. I am doing regular water changes, is there anything else I should be doing? thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish   thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish   You help a lot - PhillipOrigami   For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff   beautiful discus! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    I assume the soil is under a layer of sand; otherwise, may be cloudy for a long time. Top soil is a pain since planting creates a terrible mess and plants can't be moved/added later without creating yet another large mess. Most people keep great tanks without soil (just sand or gravel.) Don't see the advantage for most standard plants but others may know advantages. Do be aware that soil (with all those organics) can cause a powerful 'dead' zone (oxygen free zone) in the substrate that can kill roots. Thickness is critical and some here will know the best thickness for soil to allow oxygen to diffuse into it. Best of luck!
    Knowledge is fun(damental)

A 75 gal with eight Discus, fake plants, and a lot of wood also with sand substrate. Clean up crew is down to just two Sterba's Corys. Filters: continuous new water flow; canister w/UV, in-tank algae scrubber!! Finally, junked the nitrate removal unit from hell.

For Fishless cycling:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    I've had some great tanks using a thin layer of an aquatic potting soil under gravel. I'm now using root tabs under sand. Don't think I'd use top soil under sand.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 12-23-2013 at 04:08 AM.