· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Is my filter too small?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows if the filter I am using is too small for my tank.
    The filter is a aquaone Maxi 101F http://www.aquaone.co.uk/filter_internal.php
    The tank is a Juwel Korall 60 http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Prod...00000000023860
    Thanks in advance.
    Ozzy

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Tis a 72L tank

101F is rated for a 55Litre tank
    102F is rated for a 75Litre tank
    103F is rated for a 100Litre tank

I personally would run a 102F, even going one more to a 103F
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

3 Not allowed!
    If those are correct above you are massively under-filtered. I'd have no less than two of the 103Fs if I were you. You should always aim to have at least twice the recommended filtration capacity on your tank.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Depends on what stock you have in the tank. If you only have a few fish, you are ok. If you have or want a fully stocked tank, you should increase your filtration as suggested above.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

1 Not allowed!
    well i looked up the tank's page its a 54L tank.
    that filter is rated for 55L.
    if the stocking is light you are fine. but anything about a few small fish then your in trouble.

heres a guide to filters as ive learnt it here:
    double up the filters always.
    -a filter rated for 50L will be fine solo for a 25L tank max.
    its hard to over filter a tank, anything under 10x your tank volume should be fine. (ie i wouldnt run a 500L filter on a 50L tank because the flow might be too much for the fish to keep up with)
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    That is not a 54Litre tank, think they got that wrong. Going by the dimensions

61cm x 31cm x 38cm = 71858
    Divide that by 1000 = 71.858
    Rounded up =72

Wont be buying a Jewel, specially if they cant work out their own tank literage....strange!

1x 102 would be fine for that sized tank, I've owned these filters, I wouldn't put 2 in a 2ft tank, fish would end up churned around the tank 1x103 is doable, but you need to be sure you have fish that love a strong current (I had one of these in my 4ft, brilliant for water movement!!)
    Last edited by Alasse; 12-22-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the great replies.
    Does anyone have any opinions on these filters or know of alternatives.
    Ozzy

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    All HOB filters basically work the same.
    The reason most people here use and recommend Aquaclear filters is becuase it is easy to customise the amount and stages of filtration. Meaning we can put whatever we want in the box. I run aquaclears (and canisters on larger tanks) and just load them with bio-media, and sponges. If I need to, I can put in carbon/purigen/floss/polishing cloth or whatever else I choose. No need to keep buying replacement cartridges.

2 Not allowed!
    That, and also that aquaclears are sturdy, quiet and durable.
    They also are easy to clean because they don't have any parts that cannot be disassembled.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Should I go with this one or is it to big or small,http://www.miscota.ie/fish/hagen/aqu...-70-300-filtro
    also I was wondering if this will fit a tank with a hood
    Ozzy