· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    A filtration system would be a good idea, IMO....you'll get there, hang tough
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

1 Not allowed!
    Glad you've bounced back and are feeling more confident for your next go-round...good luck!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm arriving late but something you said made me curious. Previously, when you changed your water, did you or did you not add a water conditioner like Prime?
    If, ANY time you changed your water and did NOT add Prime, then you effectively killed all of your beneficial bacteria that you'd built up in your filter media because the chlorine in the water would immediately kill it. Could that be the reason you've been having trouble? Because you haven't consistently been adding Prime with every single water change? You must also add enough to condition the entire tank regardless of of much or how little water you changed out.

If I'm way off base, sorry, but the fact that you are even questioning adding Prime got me wondering.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Hi fishmommie,
    The OP is using well water, that apparently from water tests registers ammonia, but nothing else...the well water is presumed non-chlorinated

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    fishmommie, I'm on well water - so no chlorine, also no nitrites or nitrates, just ammonia in my tap water.

The ammonia in my tap water would be the main reason for using Prime, and I have used it during water changes.

No worries about being off base, between this and a few other threads since I started this tank we've discussed a lot of topics...I've been making notes here and there, like leaving breadcrumbs in the woods so as not to get lost...!
    Attitude is everything.

40 gallon FW tank: Black sand substrate, lots of live plants,
    10 long-finned zebra danios, 11 neon tetras, 6 platys, 6 julli corys, cherry shrimp and 6 nerite snails.

0 Not allowed!
    like leaving breadcrumbs in the woods so as not to get lost...!
    LOL....and we all know how THAT turned out....in the original tale, anyway

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Ah - that'll teach me to come in to the middle of the movie.

Still - since you have an ammonia issue in your water, I'd use Prime with every water change for the exact reason you said. It won't reduce the ammonia but it will neutralize it for a 24 to 48 period so it can't harm your fish.

In the meantime, looks like you're cycled. I'd give it another day or two and if the ammonia you feed it keeps dropping to 0 in 24 hours, you're golden.

I think someone else suggested you need more than 2 fish. You could actually stock your entire tank if you want but I understand your reluctance give the luck you've had. Get at least 6. wait 3 weeks or so then add more.

Fingers crossed!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

1 Not allowed!
    Hello again; sorry, been busy and just now checking up on posts.

Having ammonia (or even nitrites or nitrates) is not uncommon in well water. For a while I had rather high nitrates from mine - I foolishly bought a commercial nitrate reactor (bio) and it killed all my discus. After starting over, I switched to an algae filter and it consumed all my nitrates and kept the values to under 0.2 ppm. Often, ammonia in well water is due to animal run off or farm run off (too much ferts on the crops) and enters the ground water. This can cause both ammonia as well other things like nitrates to exist in the water. If nitrates exceed 10 ppm (not your issue) than that is a real health issue for any baby or adult that has liver issues.

As for the safety of ammonia for humans, this isn't something I have researched; however, your aquarium will be fine since the filter will quickly remove the ammonia from a small water change; you should consider prime for large water changes (over 30% WC) if the ammonia isn't fixed.

If the pH (please note spelling and how I captialized the leters!) is acidic (under 7.3/7.4) than the ammonia will be converted into harmless ammonium. So, what is your pH?

My 'guess' is that your well water is acidic since the ammonia you are measuring is fixed. If this is the case, the prime is not needed at all since that form will not harm the fish and the filter will consume it within 24 hours even for a near 100% water change.

Also, sounds as if you are cycled so a few fish (don't overwhelem the filter with too many) should be fine - just be careful of the pH - the fish store pH and yours may differ a lot (over 0.25) and that would be very dangerous. If so, use the drip method to get them ready before adding the fish to the aquarium.

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

2 Not allowed!
    The amount of Prime you will use for each PWC is small, so just to be safe, I would use it. That way you don't have to worry about ammonia at all. If your tank is showing 0 ammonia prior to changing water, then I would just dose the water you are changing, not the entire tank.

And you want to stock enough fish to keep your BB fed. I would stock 1 school like Slap suggested, then wait 2 weeks before stocking the next.

After what you've been thru, I would use the Prime.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 12-27-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    If the pH (please note spelling and how I captialized the leters!) is acidic (under 7.3/7.4) than the ammonia will be converted into harmless ammonium. So, what is your pH?
    This is interesting, as I had just found a website that spoke directly to the relationship of pH to ammonia; I hadn't heard it mentioned before. It even had a calculator to enter pH, temperature and total ammonia levels to find out what your "actual" ammonia levels are.

My pH runs right about 7.6-7.8; with a temp of 76 and 4ppm ammonia (which is what I show when I do a very large water change) that leaves me showing an actual NH3 level of about 0.13, which I would think/hope would be easily removed with Prime.

For anyone who might be curious here's the link to to the article:
    http://www.aquaworldaquarium.com/eBo...ogenCycle.html

Two days in a row now with 0 ammo and 0 nitrites...so if tomorrow morning is the same I will do a 90+% water change, add Prime, and test again. If it looks good then I will go find half a dozen zebra danios locally.

Last time I was excited about getting fish, this time I'm just nervous.
    Last edited by houdini56; 12-28-2013 at 02:15 AM.
    Attitude is everything.

40 gallon FW tank: Black sand substrate, lots of live plants,
    10 long-finned zebra danios, 11 neon tetras, 6 platys, 6 julli corys, cherry shrimp and 6 nerite snails.