· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, my fish are gone. Nine of them died after the second water change, started dying one right after the other, mostly the barbs. Only one harley died. I called the LFS who said they would take the survivors so that's what I did. The woman there said they are probably still likely to die for a variety of reasons...so not sure if that was even worth the trip, but felt like I had to try.

What a nightmare day this has been. I don't think this hobby is for me. Still wanted to say I appreciate all the help I got here.

2 Not allowed!
    I would not give up just yet. We have all had our set-backs when first starting.

Now that your tank is empty, you could always complete a fishless cycle to help avoid the difficulties that you have just encountered. The is link below in my sig that explains how to cycle a tank without fish. After that, you would just have to add your fish slowly. Once you have gone through the process once, you will see how easy it can be.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the lost of fish; cycling takes time and we all have had issues with keeping fish but that one - cycling - can give anyone issues! I hope you try again (the tank is nearly cycled!) Just keep the ammonia level about 1 ppm and the tank filter will cycle in the next week or two, I'm sure. Than you can start adding fish slowly (a few every week if small.) I lost my entire tanks of adult discus (I raised from 1 inch to over seven inch) because of a bad filter system I bought. I refused to give up and started over. Hope you continue both cycling the tank and being part of this blog.
    Best of luck!

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

1 Not allowed!
    Oh, that's a shame. Sorry things went so bad.
    I don't blame you for being reluctant to start again - its hard to know that creatures died because of something you did or didn't do, and you hate the thought of it happening again. Cermet is right tho, almost every single person here has killed or lost fish due to some malfunction or mistake or lack of action, myself included.

You have to remember what you loved about the hobby, and see if it doesn't counter your current feelings. Also, think about it again in a few weeks - right now its all fresh, but in a couple weeks you may look at that empty tank and miss having fish. And you know you won't make the same mistake again.
    And we'd all be here to help you start up again!

Awards Showcase

For your loss. - steeler1 <3 - Sandz Let's have a toast...TO DISCUS!!! - Slaphppy7 So I don't have to drink alone to celebrate your new discus ;-) - wgoldfarb One more fish for the tank, happy the Discus got thier in such great shape. - steeler1 
    A Toast To An Awesome Discus Owner! - Slaphppy7 For a succesfull Discus move!! - steeler1 A toast to more discus! - Slaphppy7 For another safe arrival! - steeler1 For the loss of you Cory's - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so sorry things went horrible for you but like others stated we've all made mistakes in this hobby and learned from them so I really hope you do continue. The issue of the barbs dying off one by one after a water change does have me concerned though because something similar happened to me once...I did ac water change added prime refilled with my python (tap water, properly warmed to match temperature) and when finished I literally watched 5 of my tetras die. I was never able to figure out exactly why that happened but after I started aging my tap water in a plastic tote (with a heater) it never occurred again, the water gasses off and there are no micro bubbles...

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    So sorry about your loss. Unfortunately, it happens. Get your tank going again with a fishless cycle (see the sticky). We will all help you with any questions.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

1 Not allowed!
    Please don't give up, as the others have stated, sometimes gettin a cycle just right can be tricky, but it is NOT impossible. I understand the anxiety you have been through during this whole ordeal, but I have kept up with this build from the beginning, and you have done nothing wrong.

Continue the fishless cycle, and when you are ready, let's try again. We will be here for you.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

8. Default

3 Not allowed!
    You are surely a friendly and supportive group of people (especially for an internet crowd, lol) and I appreciate it.

Last night I drained the tank to about an inch, cleaned the inside walls which needed it, and then did a clean fill. Rearranged my plants a little bit, too. Then when I was done I gave it a shot of ammonia.

This morning in addition to the ammonia I was showing 0.5 nitrItes and zero nitrAtes, so I guess I'm back at the beginning...or close to the beginning, at least there's some nitrItes showing already.

I do want to make this happen. And I hope I've learned some things from this experience that will help me with the next go-round. The chemistry still leaves me scratching my head, but oh well! I guess I don't have to understand it to have success, I just need to be able to follow directions, which I can do.

So, I'm back on the quest and glad to have your company.

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I don't have to understand it to have success, I just need to be able to follow directions, which I can do.
    Precisely....there are folks here who can describe in detail all of the "chemistry" and the different bacteria that aid in attaining a cycle, but you really don't need the details...it works, it's proven to work, and it will work for you, too.

Keep checking and dosing, as needed, with ammonia....hopefully when you did the big drain and refill the filter media stayed wet, you DO have some bacteria in it, we just need to let it regrow back up to desirable levels.

A fishless cycle, with a good amount of filtration and media, USUALLY when completed, allows you to add all of your fish at once, but if I were in your shoes and had the experience you did, I think I may start stocking a bit more slowly when the tank was ready. You did nothing wrong by stocking all at once, but in your instance it did not go well, for reasons we may never know.

Keep your chin up and stay positive, you are going to be a great fishkeeper one day, I just know it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Add me to the list of people that are going to tell you "to stay the course", we are all here to support and help you.

Here's a thread that was started awile back that lists all the crazy things we have done, so you won't feel alone: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...340&highlight=
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget