· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Talking Breeding Bristlenose

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys,

This is the little story of how I was surprised by the arrival of several BN fry.

I was recently forced to move all of my fish from one aquarium to another in the space of a few hours. The reason for this is that quite simply the other aquarium cracked and all hell broke loose.

We prioritized the move, of course, and were able to save all but one Glowlight. I then moved all the gravel, plants and rocks.

Over the course of the next day I was fascinated by the behaviour of the male BN; he was excavating a cave under one of the rocks. I have never had a BN do this before. If the truth is to be told I was tempted to try and stop him in case the rock was unstable. However, nature has been getting it right long before I was involved so I left him to do his thing.

The female joined him and they remained under there for about a day. Then suddenly she just swam away and stayed on the other side of the tank. I never thought to check if she was thinner or not.

A few more days passed and then I subsequently left on an 8 day holiday. My parents looked after the tank whilst I was gone. So I was reasonably confident that the fish would be okay.

So... I came back from my holiday this week and lo and behold; there were several tiny BN swimming in the tank!

Ancistrus fry r.jpgAncistrus female r.jpgAncistrus male r.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Peche; 12-21-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The above photos are the two parents and one of the fry. The fry are seemingly impossible to photograph.

So now that we have the background story there are several questions that I would like to ask...

1) How many eggs do they actually lay?

2) What is the usual number of fry that actually hatch? I only have 4 little ones :(

3) What factors play a role in the above number of hatch-lings?

4) How often will they spawn?

5) Are there any special foods that should be provided for them? I currently provide algae wafers, cucumber and baby marrow.

Any other suggestions and advice will be more than welcome.
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats!! That is a great pic you have of the male!! Handsome fella..... Wonder if you'll have any albino babies?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    Congrats!! That is a great pic you have of the male!! Handsome fella..... Wonder if you'll have any albino babies?
    Thanks!

Sadly not one of them is golden. They all took after their mommy.

Though, the light stripes on the fry are much brighter and more golden than the female. I'm not sure though if that is a result of them being young.
    Last edited by Richard Peche; 12-21-2013 at 04:19 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Should be interesting to see what they'll look like as adults! I've had a pair of albino bristlenose breed frequently....but due to vigorous gravel vacuuming I really don't know how many eggs they had at a time. I eventually started taking the young to my lfs and recently took the mated pair to the same lfs because the load on my tank was too much. I kept one young one only. I didn't feed any differently when the young were in the tank....they seem to eat pretty much anything...and of course love algae... They really are beautiful fish!!

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your babies!!! Mom & Dad are good looking parents!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboraBremner View Post
    Should be interesting to see what they'll look like as adults! I've had a pair of albino bristlenose breed frequently....but due to vigorous gravel vacuuming I really don't know how many eggs they had at a time. I eventually started taking the young to my lfs and recently took the mated pair to the same lfs because the load on my tank was too much. I kept one young one only. I didn't feed any differently when the young were in the tank....they seem to eat pretty much anything...and of course love algae... They really are beautiful fish!!
    Thank you :).

I am aiming to keep one of the young for myself and to give another to a friend. I am in desperate need of another algae eater in my second tank, so what better solution than to keep a free one :).

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank (1) r.jpg

This is his tank. He likes the big rock on the left.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My pair are the same coloration you have - male albino and brown female. Their first spawn there were about 15-17 fry. The 2nd spawn about the same. Not one albino in the bunch! All look like mom, although they have white edging to the dorsal and tail fins that mom doesn't have. Not sure if she had it when younger.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Female BN typically lay 50-100 eggs, depending on their size and maturity. Omce they start they usually keep spawning for several more rounds before taking a break. When they're tiny fry they don't have spines like the adults, and are easily eaten by other fish. They also need fed a bit more often when small, no fat reserves and the adults likely have the tank cleaned thoroughly of grazing material already.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.