· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Kalkwasser question

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, everyone.

If I make a large quantity of Kalkwasser, can I siphon out the middle (safe to use) portion into multiple small bottles without having to worry about the cloudy section that forms at the bottom also forming in the bottom of my multiple small bottles?

Basically, I drip every night in my top off water. Roughly 1/3 gallon per night. I want to make one large container of the stuff, let it settle for 24 hours, siphon the safe to use portion into multiple small 1/3g bottles, store the small bottles, and use them as necessary.

I hate having to make multiple bottles, let them all sit for 24 hours, and then have to be careful when moving them. It would be nice if the unsafe portion was eliminated from my small bottles.

I hope I am wording this to where it makes sense...

Thanks,
    Allen

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I may just try it and find out for everyone since no one seems to know. I will report back tomorrow or so.

0 Not allowed!
    I would interested to hear about how you like using it

I've always liked to keep things simple and just supplements. At least that is a simple approach for me as I understand how to use supplements better than I understand other approaches
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Same here...never went the Kalk route, just used bottled supplements.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, there are a number of reasons why I am using Kalkwasser.

1. It's dirt cheap to make. I use Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime. Less than $3 for a bag of it. Should last months.

2. It is keeping my PH up. Before, my PH would fluctuate from 7.8 before the lights came on, and 8.0 before the lights went off. Now it's 8.1 before the lights come on, and 8.4 before the lights go off. I don't know if that is too much fluctuation or not. At least it's in the recommended "safe" zone.

3. It is keeping my calcium up. The only reason I have been doing water changes was to raise my calcium. My nitrates never get above 0ppm. My calcium would drop below 380 or so, and I would do a 10% water change to get it back around 400-420. Now, I really don't have a reason to do a water change. I am closely checking all of my parameters every day to track what exactly is going on. I am using a 1tsp:1gal ratio. I am having to top off anywhere from 1/3g to 1/2g per day.

4. I can combine it with my top off water.

I noticed that dosing pumps can be very expensive, and I refuse to have something hanging over my tank to drip this stuff for hours. So, I have designed a very cheap dosing/auto top-off system. I haven't seen this design or method used anywhere else. I am making a few changes to it to make it better. When it is finished, I will be making a DIY video so everyone else can do the same thing. You can make this whole system for $30 or so depending on how cheap you want to be.

My corals are simply loving it. I have not been able to check my alkalinity or magnesium, as I don't have the test kits. I will be picking them up this weekend so I can make sure I'm not sky-rocketing something.

Lots of people swear by Kalkwasser. I haven't been using it long enough to give a good review, but so far it is doing great. Killing many birds with one stone, so to speak.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, yeah.

The answer to my original question is yes. You can siphon out the clear portion of Kalkwasser and ration it off to smaller bottles and not have to worry about the smaller bottles being shaken up, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenIsbell View Post
    The only reason I have been doing water changes was to raise my calcium.
    Are you trying to completely eliminate waterchanges all together ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think I'll be able to get to that point, but I am very interested to see just how far I can take it.

Any tips?

Not sure if you are familiar with NewYorkSteelo on Youtube, but I remember him saying at one point that he hadn't done a water change in months on his 90g reef. He has a refugium and a deep sand bed working for him, though.

I thought about adding some mangroves or something. Maybe a HOB fuge in the distant future. I am willing to do anything to make this system run itself as long as it can.

0 Not allowed!
    You also have to keep in mind that waterchanges are for a lot more than removing nutriants (nitrates and phosphates). My nitrates and phosphate level are seldom high enough to read on a Salifert test kit. However, I complete weekly water changes to replenish the trace elements that we don't test for, such as: Iodine, Strontium, Silica, and Boron just to name three of them. While those are not critical elements, These trace elements are still needed by most corals to survive. Testing and maintaining those trace amounts has always been a level of complexity that I have avoided at all costs as I find it easier just to complete ~10% weekly water change to maintain them.

Have you considered a calcium reactor to help with that ?

I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as a HOB calcium reactor

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I see. I do have some Kent iodine and strontium supplements. I have never even bothered looking into testing those. I may look into that. If you say it's too much trouble, I would probably agree. My 10% water change takes 15 minutes tops, and is very easy to do. You know what, I will definitely have to do water changes at some point due to the fact that I am running a canister filter. Oh, well.

I have not considered a calcium reactor. The do make HOB versions. I would much rather not deal with another pump hanging out in my tank. I may be able to run one off of the Fluval 405... Eh, I'll probably skip that. I'd rather dose Kalk and stick with my traditional water changes!

It would be so nice to have one single supplement that covered everything your tank needs! Maybe one day.