· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

Default Stocking a 300 gallon aquarium: Oscar + Clown Loaches + Pleco + ?

0 Not allowed!
    Pondering the stocking on the 300 gallon tank I'm working on. Would you like to ponder with me?

There are some fish I know I want to have:
    1 sailfin pleco
    a school of clown loaches
    an oscar (added after the loaches have had time to grow)

I want the oscar and the pleco (once they're adults) to be the largest fish in the tank. I also want at least one additional school of fish, not bottom feeders.

The plan, as it has evolved so far, is to have a school of silver dollars, and then 3-4 central/south american cichlids, all of types that stay a bit smaller than oscars. I liked the idea because it would give me a variety of colorful fish. The more I read, though, the more I'm concerned about the hit-or-miss aggression levels of mixed cichlids. Constantly monitoring 5 semi-aggressive fish for signs of trouble might be more stressful than enjoyable for me.

What if the oscar was the only cichlid? I could probably have another school or two of smaller (but not too small) fish. Not sure what good options would be. Suggestions? Ideally something with some color to it. I'd looked at tinfoil barbs as a possibility, and while the tank is big enough they may take up too much bioload, limiting my other options.

The last thing I'm hung up on is how much I can actually stock. I've been tinkering with AqAdvisor (boo! hiss!!), and I think it's being ultraconservative with this tank and these fish. I feel like I just get started and it says I'm 150% stocked. Obviously once there's actual fish in the tank I can monitor nitrate levels and see how it's going, but I need some idea of a starting point first. Guess I could use the old inch-per-gallon rule and stock it with twenty oscars.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you put these fish with nothing in the tank, you'll be able to reduce aggression since there will be nothing to mark terriotrios and they end up living together.
    I put a good filter for 10X the capacity of the tank or even a sump.
    You can learn about stocking fish in aquaria for jumbos, and ignore the aqadvisor in this matter. For stoking you need good filter and lots of water change.

0 Not allowed!
    With larger cichlids to minimize aggression it is very effective to take a "1 of this 1 of that" approach, this eliminates the possibility for pairing and if reared together all of the fish generally get along very well especially in a tank of this size. For example an Oscar, Severum, Jack Dempsey combination typically works out very well you could also add some smaller cichlids such as larger Cryptoheros, Thorichthys, etc.

My old 150G ran well with 1 O, 3 Rotkeil Sevs, 5 Geophagus, 1 L330 Royal, 5 Rainbow Cichlids, 20 Buenos Aires, and a group off Bristlenoses....nitrates never above 5. Aquadvisor always told me it was around 150% stocked as well. However you must keep in mind that stocking for the most part is primarily dictated by filtration, waterchanges, and aggression levels of individual fish. You could honestly probably stock that thing to the gills with a wet/dry and large weekly changes and have it run just fine.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    I feel pretty good about my filtration capacity, I've got a couple huge trickle filters that I'm building. Water changes... we'll see. I may have to buy a new water heater to have the capacity to change enough water... or maybe do multiple smaller changes per week.

Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    With larger cichlids to minimize aggression it is very effective to take a "1 of this 1 of that" approach, this eliminates the possibility for pairing and if reared together all of the fish generally get along very well especially in a tank of this size.
    So it works best when you get your cichlids young and add them all at once? What happens if, a few years down the road, one of them dies and you want to replace it? That's been one of my big concerns.

My old 150G ran well with 1 O, 3 Rotkeil Sevs, 5 Geophagus, 1 L330 Royal, 5 Rainbow Cichlids, 20 Buenos Aires, and a group off Bristlenoses....
    The oscar never add the tetras? I would have guessed that would be an issue.

My tentative list of cichlids was:
    oscar (must have)
    gold severum
    salvini (a bit concerned about the potential aggression from this one, but they're sooo pretty)
    blue acara
    nicaragua cichlid

What do you think of that list?
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Oh he ate some of the tetras when smaller but he is so large now they arnt worth his time...also a very well fed fish so not worth the effort to chase down anything else.

In that situation I would add an adult fish to the mix...and re-decorate. Tank as large as yours I wouldn't expect issues even with a replacement fish.

Salvini are also not that aggressive, sure for a 6-7" fish they're mean as hell....but taken into count other large Parachromis, they're nothing. Not to mention it will be one of the smallest fish in there. I think your list is fine, heck Id even consider adding a few more fish...300G is a lot of water and foot print to work with.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you know how many clowns you are going with yet? I know you lost some when you had hot water heater problems.

My husband really wants to go with bala sharks or tinfoil barbs when our clowns move from the 6 ft tank to the 8 ft tank. (Though I just saw fishtanksdirect has 10 ft tanks on the website) I personally dont want the bala sharks. I definitely want a severum. If I were just to have the clowns and a school I would choose tiger barbs but I dont think they would be big enough for you.

Super excited to see how your tank comes along.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I think your list is fine, heck Id even consider adding a few more fish...300G is a lot of water and foot print to work with.
    That's kind how I feel, when I look at my stocking list and think "this is all 300 gallons gets me?". You'd add some more cichlids, or another school of something?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    Do you know how many clowns you are going with yet? I know you lost some when you had hot water heater problems.
    Yeah, only 3 survived that fiasco. My thinking is that I'll get a bunch of them. A dozen at minimum, maybe as many as twice that. That way, if I lose a few, I still have a decent school. If things go really well and I end up with a tank overstocked with large loaches, I'm sure I could find someone to take a few off my hands.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We currently have 11 clowns in the 6ft tank trying to grow. They all are almost 4 inches long but are now bulking up instead of gaining a bunch on length. 8 inch loaches sell for over 50 dollars each by me so if you could get a bunch of big ones you could make back a little money.

Where are you planning to buy your new ones? My petsmart ones have been the healthiest. I have 2 other stores and their clowns always have ick. We bought some at once and had ick in a day. They later told us they use straight ro water in their system and dont remineralize properly so we no longer buy fish there

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a school of silver dollars in the 220 with the super red severums, kubotai botias, and yellow Lab's. Recently added 5 more young ones to add to the school of 5 large ones, they all hang together. I had schools of Colombian and white (black skirt) tetras, but they dwindled away to 2/3 of each after I moved he zebra knife into that tank. The few remaining have been fine for months now, but I really found I preferred the much larger silver dollars in that size tank.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

1 Not allowed!
    Large clown loaches are an easy sell, if you become over ran with them it is definitely not hard to move them. They also take so long to gain much size it can easily be many years before you really need to even consider thinning them down. As you said they also are not hardy fish and often have a higher mortality rate.

oscar
    gold severum
    salvini
    blue acara
    nicaragua cichlid
    chocolate cichlid
    male convict(dont knock them adult males in good condition look like a smaller barred midas)
    8-10 redhook SDs
    12 clown loaches
    1 gibby

4x75Gs coming soon