· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Skinny yo yo loach

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon with 6 yo yo loaches that all with the exception of one seem to be doing well. I read about a "skinny" loach condition on one of the sites I researched on where it mentions parasites, but not sure if this applies to mine. I got this yo yo loach with the 2 others a few months ago and added the other 3 slowly over time. They are all very active and always eat, seem to be growing really fast. This one yo yo loach however does not follow the same behavior as any of the other ones.

Here are some of the habits / features I've noticed these past few months:

• He / she does not follow the rest of the group at all.
    • When I throw down wafers, it will probably try for 2-3 seconds to take a nab but then give up as soon as another loach kicks in.
    • It usually hovers near the top or middle of tank. It's got a "sleep" time during the day where it rests on the heater and seems like every day this is the normal case, then it is active evening, night, and morning.
    • Body color appears well.
    • It will usually eat anything that does NOT go to the bottom, so flakes or dried bloodworms. It eats frozen bloodworms as well, but I usually feed them that once every week or every other week. (Dr. G's frozen bloodworms)

My problem is that its stayed skinny for a while now and I feel like it's not growing. I feed my fish a variety of food on a daily basis ranging from algae wafers, blanched cucumbers / zuchinni, banana, peas, minced garlic to boost immune system, frozen bloodworms, dried worms, and two other different brands of high quality algae wafers. Plenty of places for them to hide as well, but I rarely see any of them ever hide. Even the skinny one that is in plain sight. I do 25-50% water changes every 4-5 days and have been good with that routine.

My pics all came out blurry because it kept moving :) so put this video recording instead.

Video Link here:
    Last edited by phyl0x; 12-18-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: specified exact type of frozen bloodworm.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd certainly treat it(and also the rest of the tank to be sure) with praziquantel.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    I'd certainly treat it(and also the rest of the tank to be sure) with praziquantel.
    I finally got the shipment in. In the middle of the wait, I've been setting up my old tank and put in one of my platys there, along with small tiny baby snails I thought I would breed there and some ghost shrimp babies. They are all doing fine and I checked water levels just now and PH is at around 7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 2.5.

Do you think its ok to use this tank for the treatment phase for the 1 skinny loach? The one I ended up getting is called prazipro. I would have to move him to this new tank and right now I'm trying to match the temperate of the water for this 20 gallon tank with the 55 gallon tank that it is in right now.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think if your treating him that would work as a little hospital tank just don't plain on making it his year round home.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to say that she's doing much better. She does not seem anywhere as lethargic as she used to be, the snail population is thriving, and I'm thinking about just leaving her in the tank with the other platys and mollys I have in there now. I feel like putting her back with the other loaches in the bigger tank is way too intimidating for her and I never saw her socialize with them either.
    55 gallon tank
    Eheim 2217 Canister Filter
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

2 Platys
    4 Guppies
    4 Clown Loaches (Only 2 inches, returning to LFS soon)
    5 Yo Yo Loaches
    1 Rubberlip Pleco

50% Daily Once a Week Water Changes

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Now that the loach is doing better and built up some strength I think it would be best for it if you at least gave it a chance to try and join the group. You can always remove it again after a week or so if things don't work out.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.