· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Breeding snails for loaches

0 Not allowed!
    So last night, I got a little bored and went over to PetSmart. Spoke to one of the guys that worked in the aquarium dept and he gave me a few of the miniscule snails that I know my loaches love to eat. I have a seperate 20 gallon tank that's been empty that I recently filled up with the water from my 55 gallon and have one of the filters from my 55gallon running on it as well. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what kind of things I can do to make them breed in the least time possible. I think I'm going to make this 20 gallon tank a breeding tank for the snails to feed to my loaches, since I know they multiply like roaches and also possibly make it a medication tank as well for sick fish.

I have currently about 7 of the really small snails in there right now. I know they feed on lettuce, but is there anything else? Also, this morning I noticed there were tiny larvae looking things that looked like they were swimming up. Could this be from some gnat in my house in the 55-60 degree Florida weather, from the snails, or somehow came with one of the snails? They almost look like the same kind of larvae that comes from mosquitos, really quick.

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Snails like veggies like squash, broccoli, cauliflower, etc....I think the easiest thing to feed them would be algae wafers though, they love those...no idea what your larvae could be
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Snails like veggies like squash, broccoli, cauliflower, etc....I think the easiest thing to feed them would be algae wafers though, they love those...no idea what your larvae could be
    I put in a little piece of the algae wafer that my loaches prefer the most in the snail tank. Hoping to see all of the snails come out of their hiding and snatch it up within the next few hours. Wondering how long it takes them to lay eggs and start growing more. I only have a hornwort plant, probably about 4-5 inches in there at the moment.

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of "miniscule" snails are these, do you have any idea?....like maybe pond snails?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Snails do seem to love algae wafers. Pond snails should be easy and prolific breeders - probably faster in a tropical tank (as opposed to a coldwater set-up).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

6. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    I believe snails, like many fish, breed when water conditions are ideal. From experience warmer water appears to help, like someone mentioned in a tropical setup. Algae works great, should be able to grow algae really easy placing a clear plastic cup in the direct sun light with some of your tank water. Do some research online to learn more about snails. Also, if what you see is mesquito larvae, nice little snack for your fish.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I remember I used to be able to go in and get a betta cut chalked FULL of invasive snails for nothing. If you get in with the employees there they will do that for you. Also they sometimes have someone who will keep a card for you and if there is a fish that someone drops off and you want to rehome it or take it free they will contact you because a lot of them dont like killing the fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's