30 smallest Plecos
I dunno where I got this list from but it is very helpful Maybe Keep it as a Sticky?
1. Flash Pleco, L204- 5.2" 130mm
2. Imperial Pleco, zebra pleco, L046, L098, L173- 3.2" 80mm
3. clown pleco, Ringlet Pleco, L104, L162, LDA22- 4" 100mm
4. Queen Arabesque Pleco L260~ 5" 125mm
5. King Tiger Pleco, Network Pleco, Scribbled Pleco, L066- 4.8" 120mm
6. Leopard Frog Pleco, L134 4.4" 110mm
7. Bristlenose Catfish, Common Bristlenose Catfish, L?- 5" 125mm
8. Green Pleco, Lemon spotted Green Pleco, L200- 7.2" 180mm
9. Starlight Bristlenose Catfish, L183- 4.0" 100mm
10. Para Pleco, L075, L124, L301, LDA02- 6" 150mm
11. Hypancistrus sp. ,L333- 6" 150mm
12. Butterfly Pleco, Flounder Pleco, L168- 5.6" 140mm
13. Hemiancistrus sp. L128- 7.2" 180mm (Apparently some have seen this plec. reach 9 inches anyone else want to 2nd that?)
14. Tiger ''Peckoltia'', L002, L074- 4" 100mm
15. Candy Striped Pleco, L015- 4" 100mm
16. Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus, L001, L022- 8" 200mm
17. Angelicus Pleco, Portel Angelicus Pleco, L004, L005, L028, L073- 4" 100mm
18. Chocolate Zebra Pleco, L270, L307, LDA76- 4" 100mm
19. Medusa Pleco, L034- 8" 200mm
20. Spotted Medusa Pleco, L255- 8" 200mm
21. Dekeyseria sp., Butterfly Pleco, Flounder Pleco L052- 4.8" 120mm
22. Pitbull Plec LDA25 - 2" 50mm
23. Brown Dot Peckoltia, L006- 4" 100mm
24. Leopard Peckoltia, L008- 3.2" 80mm
25. Ancistrini sp. L016-6" 150mm
26. Snowball Pleco (Hypancistrus sp.) L102- 6.4" 160mm
27. Spotted Orange Seam Pleco L106- 6" 150mm
28. Hypancistrus sp. L129- 2.8" 70mm
29. Spectracanthicus sp. L254- 4.4" 110mm
30. Panaque sp. L306, LDA64- 4.8" 120mm
This looks really helpful! Thanks for posting.
Is it? We got fish here with vastly different needs and temperaments. Some of which are readily available and some of which are more difficult to find and expensive like the zebra or misnamed and impossible to obtain like L016. It's also missing quite a few like all the otos and a number of smaller bristlenose. Oh, and L001 gets a lot bigger, it's at 12" one of the smaller Pterygoplichthys
well the needs and temperaments part doesn't matter that's what research is for.
I also didn't necessarily mean it was perfect but remember even though there might be some slightly smaller bristlenose and we know there are most of them are hybrids bred by enthusiasts and may not be readily available. those that aren't on the list feel free to add to the list we can keep a rolling of the smallest plecos
and though L001 can get up to 12" more common is 8"
Thanks for that list, dutchie...I am considering adding a few more plecos to my 40 gallon, and this will help narrow my search
Pretty cool list. If I would use it as a sticky it would have to be a bit more user friendly. Maybe hyperlink the species profile under the types and sort them by size, a distributor that is a trusted source that sells them, etc...
FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's
Sounds Good Sandz I will work on that today and if Tall Dutchie was to list those fish he considers should be in there I can get everything arranged decently and with links to their profiles
Oh and I will try to list them from smallest to largest
Good job Joe, I for one appriciate it since I usualy don't research pleco's very often.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi
“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget