· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Malawi :)

1. Default Malawi :)

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I've decided to start over my 200l aquarium with Malawi cichlids. I need some information about cycling the tank and other information about the cichlids themselves.

Any help and links would be appreciated. Thank You.

0 Not allowed!
    Cycling the tank is the same for Malawi's as any other species. You really do want to fishless cycle tho if you can, as then you can stock all your cichlids at once. Pretty much everything from that lake is aggressive and territorial, so it helps reduce casualties if you can introduce all your stock at once - which can only be done with a fishless cycle.

You should decide what Malawi's you want. I can't really make recommendations as I'm not sure of the dimensions of a 200l tank, but most Malawis should have a good 4ft tank or equivalent footprint - their aggression will get out of hand in a tank thats too small to allow fish to escape when chased. A bigger tank is also needed to allow for proper tank decor - most malawis require lots of rockwork to both hide from their mates and to pick algae off.

So you might want to research malawis and pick out fish that fit your tank...check out tanganyikan cichlids as well, they have some nice fish that are a tad bit less troublesome as far as aggression goes.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The dimensions of the tank are 100cm by 40cm by 50cm. I found a good link for cycling a fishless cycle which should be not that difficult.

I still have to decide what malawi I want altough I have some ideas :)

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, there are stickies here on AC for fishless cycling. It will take a few weeks to cycle your tank, so you have lots of time to decide what you want.

Your tank is not the optimal size for many malawi's - you will have to stick with the smaller cichlids.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. You need a larger tank to keep Malawis really.

Maybe consider Tanganyikans. There are a few species you can successfully keep in that sized tank. They are no less interesting. You could consider some of the Julidochromis species and perhaps some shell-dwellers like Neolamprologus multifasciatus. Alternatively you might want a species tank of Neolamprologus brichardi or pulcher. You could also consider Neolamprologus leleupi.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~