· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Can You Pack A HOB Cartridge Filter (tetra Or Aqueon) Like An Aquaclear?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone who was familiar with Aquaclear filters knew if you could pack a HOB filter like the Aqueon ones or Tetra Whisper EX filters like you would an Aquaclear filter.

Aquaclear is filled with horizontal layers, usually a sponge on the bottom and a sack of biomedia in the middle. Other layers are up to you.

However, the other HOB filters from Tetra and Aqueon use cartridges. It's basically a filter bag with carbon in it on a rigid plastic frame that you insert vertically into the filter cavity.

Is it possible to pack these hob cartridge filters the same way you would pack the Aquaclears? Does the water circulate the same way through all the layers if I did this? I have all three of these filters. For the Tetra Whisper EX and Aqueon filter, I would like to pack them like my Aquaclear. Would it be viable?

Let me know what you think

2 Not allowed!
    As far as being able to - yes you can. I actually don't even use the cartridges in mine - I just put sponges at the overflow lip so media doesn't get out, and put whatever I want in the box. Don't use the cartridges at all. But I also don't run carbon - I can see wanting to use the cartridges if you're running carbon. But you can buy media bags, or use nylons, to hold media, so long as you don't want a framework holding the media up.

As to whether or not the water circulates as well thru custom packed filters as it does the cartridges, I couldn't say. It circulates well enough that I personally am not worried about it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    ..and put whatever I want in the box.
    What do you put in the box? I have some seachem matrix I'd like to throw in. I also heard filter floss is really great.

0 Not allowed!
    I just run bio-media (leftover eheim brand) and a sponge in one filter, and in the other I ran some bio-media to fill in the bottom and filter floss with a thin sponge across the outflow lip.
    But there are people who cut open the cartridges and refill with bio-media, or carbon, or floss, as desired.

But you put in whatever you figure your tanks needs - and if you run two different filters (recommended, on larger tanks) you can make one all bio media (what I did with my canister) and the other all sponge and floss. Or any combination thereof and if you stagger the cleaning schedules, you never have to worry about killing ALL your beneficial bacteria, even if you do something silly and kill off the bacteria on one filter.

But you tweak your filter to what you think your tank needs - if its heavily stocked, you would likely decide to add in bio-media. If you see floaties and you want clearer water, you would go for floss and sponges and maybe polishing pads.
    Whatever you think your tank needs. Maybe a bag of purigen to lower nitrates...or a bag of chemipure...combinations and possibilities are pretty numerous.

0 Not allowed!
    I just noticed these are your first two posts - Welcome to AC!!