· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Thinking of upgrading to a canister

0 Not allowed!
    I have two HOB on my 55g tank and was thinking of upgrading to a canister filter soon.

Any suggestions on brands/sizes? I was thinking of a 100g size, but is that too much?

Thanks

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I love my Eheim Classic 2215, it is rated for 93 gallons....If I were you, and chose the Eheim brand, I would get a 2217, wgich is rated for 159

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3603
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Oooh, it's cheaper at Big Al's, free shipping too: http://www.bigalspets.com/classic-ca...FWJo7Aodjz8A3w
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    love my eheim too. But everyone has their faves.

1 Not allowed!
    I've used both Eheim and Fluval over the years. Both I wouldn't hesitate to use again, but the Eheim Classics have the edge for performance and build quality. Avoid the Eheim Pro canisters. Not as reliable as the Classics.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used to use Eheim, and they last and work great forever. I use Fluval now, and they are also very good. I recommend either of these two.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think you could go wrong with a properly sized Eheim, Fluval, or Rena. All great brands to choose from

I would suggest a Rena XP3 along one of your HOBs
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I love my Eheim Classic 2215, it is rated for 93 gallons....If I were you, and chose the Eheim brand, I would get a 2217, wgich is rated for 159

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3603
    I'm all for over-filtration to keep the water clean, but wouldn't a 2217 be a little much for a 55g?

29g Community tank -

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After doing a bit more research, I have another question - With a 55g cichlid tank, would a Eheim Classic 2215 (rated to 93g) combined with one of my existing HOB filters (I have an Aqueon 55/75 and an Aqua Clear 70) make more sense than a 2217 which is rated to 159g? The money isn't an issue, it's more of thinking the water flow of the 2217 in a 55g would be too much. What do you guys think?

BTW - thanks for the great links. Big Al's is awesome.

29g Community tank -

1 Not allowed!
    A 2217 on a 55g is a lot of flow! Now you can turn it down a bit by drilling the spraybar. On the one hand I'm not too keen on tons of flow for a lot of cichlids, on the other hand... if your African cichlid tank is mbuna it's going to be stocked to a high level and you want all the filtration you can get.

I'd be happy with a 2215 myself but wouldn't turn down the 2217 and mod it a bit for flow. In any case... a good ceramic medium and a filter brush are worth the investment with these. Also, some countries the classics are sold without double shutoff taps and you REALLY want those!