· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    That's very interesting.

And now for some kitty trivia, since we've begun discussing different cat traits:

Why do breeders (who know what they're doing) try to breed pure white cats with orange eyes instead of blue eyes?

Cats with 2 blue eyes can be deaf.

Why should one never sterilize a male Calico?
    They are sterile to begin with.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    There seems to be some genetic connection between the blue eye color and deafness in pure white cats. Those with orange eyes are less likely to be hearing impaired. This, according to a book I read some time ago about the various breeds of cat. Don't know if that applies to green, or if only one eye is blue and the other not. Green is a secondary color derived from blue and yellow combined, so maybe, maybe not.
    Last edited by mermaidwannabe; 12-17-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    That's very interesting.

And now for some kitty trivia, since we've begun discussing different cat traits:

Why do breeders (who know what they're doing) try to breed pure white cats with orange eyes instead of blue eyes?

White cats with 2 blue eyes can be deaf. If they have 1 blue and 1 gold eye, they usually have normal hearing.

Why should one never sterilize a male Calico?

They are sterile to begin with. Calico is a female coloring and almost all male calicos are born sterile.
    This is a re-posting of my reply (editing time ran out before I finished).

My blue-mitted Ragdoll, Gucci, is going on 12 yrs old and has been with me for 6-1/2 yrs. He is a hoot, very interactive and with an unusual meow - it sounds like "waaa-gooo". Very funny.

Unfortunately, all the cats that I have named have human names. Gucci came with his name and I think it would be a good name for your seal point boy.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 12-17-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

1 Not allowed!
    Getting myself back on topic, your little fluffball is as cute as they come, and how lucky you are that he has chosen you. (Of course, our cats always choose US, and let us think we've chosen them -- smart kitties!)

And how good of you to give him such a loving home . . . Wish all kitties could have that.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Fascinating cat trivia Mermaid! I knew that white cats were commonly deaf but I didn't know eye colour played a part. I always assumed it was only ordinary domestic white cats that had the tendency to be deaf though, not purebred breeds. I don't think this applies to cats like Turkish Angoras, which are often pure white. Oriental cats can come in white but not sure if they have problems with deafness. There are lots of cats which are mainly white, like Rags, but does the deafness only occur in PURE white cats? Also I didn't know you could get male Calicos! I thought calicos were like torties, always female.

Well he hasn't CHOSEN me yet! We won't be meeting him until he is shipped the 600 miles from where he was bred to my hometown! I would love to handpick my baby but there aren't really many Ragdoll breeders in the South Island of NZ (where I live) so we are getting one from the North island. I cannot WAIT to meet him... have been dreaming about kittens every day since we decided to get him!! I hope he turns out to be a BIG fella like Hudson was.

Laura, my old raggie had quite a different meow too! VERY loud and demanding haha. But his purr was the loudest.

We MAY have settled on a name. Although it is't confirmed, the only name so far that both me and my partner have liked is Polo.

0 Not allowed!
    I approve of "Polo". Are they breathmints in NZ too?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I also like "Polo". Now you need another to name "Marco" - LOL!

0 Not allowed!
    Lol - nope, no breathmints! Someone suggested Apollo and we decided we liked it without the "A". Plus Polo kinda reminds me of Polar Bear, and he is going to be a big white fluff ball so it kinda fits!

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    So, when does Polo arrive? Please post more photos when he is safely in his new home.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I like the name too! Good choice!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed