· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default MY 39 gallon bow front

0 Not allowed!
    heres a picture of my 39 gallon bow front
    I just got rid of a LOT of plants so everything looks like its hurting right now. But with my temple plants i cut off at least 4" of plant off the top, and around 50 leaves biweekly.
    266BEEF8-EB2D-44C1-8DCA-C4C1916DDE2C.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    The rising slope adds a nice touch. You have a peak and a valley, with the plants mainly in the lower section. It's nice that the aquascape isn't all one level.

Have you considered opaquing your background? A simple solid color paint on the rear glass panel, or an aquatic mural of some kind? Maybe an original collage or other artwork? That would draw the eye into your tank instead of through it to the walls behind it. Just a suggestion . . .

Nice play of light and shadow.

--mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking about putting a black piece behind the tank, but i never got around to it because i have a magnetic algae scraper and i dont know if it would slide on it, and if it would wreck it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a black background on my tank and you barely notice the bit of algae with the dark background....and the fish enjoy a little grazing. :-)

0 Not allowed!
    The black background would be applied to the outside of the glass, while an algae scraper would be used inside of the tank, so I don't quite understand how that would harm it.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine is a magnetic scraper so it goes on either side, i just dont want to be fixing the background every week when i do my cleaning.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking tank but it does need a black background in my opinion. I don't clean the back glass on any of my tanks. If you're getting a lot of algae you might want to consider your light and nutrient balance. Excess growth of algae means something isn't quite right.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont get much algae growth, but i do get the odd black hair algae spore on my glass, which is the stuff that really bothers me. I also have a problem with floating debris in my tank. Seems like my fine filtration doesn't stop it, or my filter doesnt suck it up.

0 Not allowed!
    What is the debris? Leaves and things? I get lots of that in my tank - mainly just because there is a hell of a lot of plants in there so you are going to have to cope with natural leaf wastage. I tend to scoop out leaves with a net every three or four days as they all cluster around the inlet of one of my filters. You don't really want all of that getting sucked into the filters or they will block up really quickly.

Black algae - possibly Black Brush/Beard Algae can be caused by a lack of CO2 in the water column. How long are your lights on for? You could try splitting your lighting period (put a three or four hour break in the middle of the lighting period). This can allow CO2 levels to build back up before the second light session.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I believe the debris is plant material, and little biodegrading pieces of poop, left over food that gets caught in places etc.

My lights are on for 8 hours a day, 12pm-8pm. I do have some indirect natural light coming into the room. I will see if my timer can have multiple on and offs in the day.