· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Dying fish - help please!

0 Not allowed!
    I have a well established 55 gal community tank. I recently added 6 ottos to the tank. I did not quarantine ( I know, I know!!). Well several days after I started losing tetras suddenly. Now I've lost an angel, a Cory, a Bosemani and a few more tetras. The initial fish i lost did not seem to have any physical issues. The recent loss, Bosemani, seemed to have color loss and some possible grey patch and a few red places. Not seeing white spots,like Ich. I did a huge water change when I started losing fish. Yesterday I started adding Maracyn and Tetra Life Guard. I totally do not know what I'm dealing with. Help!!

Awards Showcase

Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 
    We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't know what you are dealing with then don't medicate. It's possible your new fish brought some sort of internal parasite with them and neither of those medications will do anything. Do the otos or any of your fish show any sign of parasite, sunken or swollen bellies, red gills, red patches on their skin, etc?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    None of those signs except on the last fish I lost there seemed to be gray area on the skin. That is what has me so stumped, no apparent signs that I can see or detect.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, there were a few red places in the gray area.

Awards Showcase

Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 
    We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    What are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    it is likely not an internal parasite, as these tend to progress slowly, with visible emaciation and other symptoms weeks before death.
    I would guess an external parasite, something like velvet.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have checked my water params and all checked out. Ammonia at 0, nitrites at 0. I also did a big water change, 80%, when I started seeing the sudden deaths.

1 Not allowed!
    did you possibly forget to dechlorinate the water? how about temperature matching?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    An 80% water change can cause a huge pH change if you have soft water. Do you know the pH of the water in the tank and that of the source water? Remember, a pH change over 0.25 can kill fish! I assume that the original deaths all occurred after the WC? If so, this could be the issue assuming Madagascariensis' point isn't the cause.

Also, what are the nitrates (before the WC?)
    Last edited by Cermet; 12-14-2013 at 01:20 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The WC was after the first 5 fish died suddenly. I checked my water params prior to the WC to make sure I didn't have anything going on. Yesterday I took the last dead fish to a LFS, not where I got the Ottos. This guy has had the store for 25 years. He said it didn't look or sound like external parasite. He told me to double my dose of Maracyn first day, then continue with Maracyn as directed. I did and I haven't had any losses over night. I'm hoping the Maracyn does the trick for whatever this is.