· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishery View Post
    Yup its a positive dislocation and his jaw is bent to one side, what now
    well, you could drain the tank so he barely has enough water to swim and then you could grab him with a towel and try to gently pop it back into place.

its either that or you could try to sedate him (which I have never done) with some clove oil. a quick google search will show you how some people have done it.

I would just wrap him in a towel so you can get a good grip on him and try to pop it back into place.
    Thar she blows!!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    well, you could drain the tank so he barely has enough water to swim and then you could grab him with a towel and try to gently pop it back into place.

its either that or you could try to sedate him (which I have never done) with some clove oil. a quick google search will show you how some people have done it.

I would just wrap him in a towel so you can get a good grip on him and try to pop it back into place.
    1.Whoa well I gave him to my aquarium shopkeeper temporarily as he said he knows how to do that properly, besides I don't know how much clove oil to add to the tank.
    2.I noticed something well the shopkeeper pointed it out actually, his entire top fin on his back is gone, it's in bits and cuts and almost fully gone, no damage to his tail or other fins.
    Here's the original pic of him when I got him 4 months back,(top fin I am refering to is highlighted) you can notice that even in the pic that I have posted in the first page showing his open jaw, his fin on the back is present and that was taken just 2 weeks from now, now it's almost fully gone.

And to add to the horror, today I turned on the tank lights and I could see tiny wriggling worms, I saw at least 3 of them, so perhaps he broke his jaw due to violent movements initiated by the worms eating his fins?

Any preferred medications to treat the water, does it indicate the gravel filter is not functioning properly?
    I do 50% water changes every week so any ideas what caused the worm outbreak?
    Last edited by fishery; 01-01-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

2 Not allowed!
    the worms would be from dirty gravel. they shouldn't affect the arowanas fins though. I would guess his fin is getting torn up from jumping and/or poor water quality.

you said you are using a gravel filter? for as much of a bioload as an arowana will produce, you will want much better filtration. preferably a large canister and/or sump.

I would vacuum the gravel very thoroughly every 2-3 days until the worms are gone and do 50% water changes each time.
    Thar she blows!!!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply Crispy, I ll be getting a Canister first thing tomorrow.
    Is a gravel filter a recommended type of filtration ?
    My Aquarium shop swears that is it the best type of filtration and that they have used it for years in their shop without any issues.
    Isn't vacuuming the gravel with a Silver Aro risky, my Aro loves to jump when I open the tank or when he is spooked.
    Anyway any recommended Canister Brands ?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I would recommend a fluval fx5 or larger eheim canister. I would also recommend getting rid of most of your gravel and only keep a very thin layer if you absolutely want gravel. I keep my aros with bare bottom tank so it is very easy to clean.

under gravel filters are an old-school way of filtering an aquarium. while they do work, they need to be cleaned frequently and even then are still poor filters IMO. they also do nothing for mechanical filtration. I would never use one in any of my tanks.

as for the aro jumping, he will get used to your hands and vacuum in the tank. he should stay on the opposite side when you are cleaning. aros need lots of water changes and vacuuming, so just do what you have to do and before long he shouldn't care much.
    Last edited by Crispy; 01-07-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Thar she blows!!!