· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Revamping 29 BioCube, have some assorted questions

0 Not allowed!
    I've decided that my BioCube needs a reboot, and since I know at least some of my relatives will give me cash for Christmas, I'm going to a LFS (possibly two) sometime in late December. Here's what I have to work with:

Not so good, huh? Kind of a mess.
    Critters:
    One blue damsel (a peaceful type)
    One Wheeler's (maybe) shrimpgoby
    One tiger pistol shrimp
    One rooster waspfish
    One sand snail
    A couple of bumblebee snails
    A few dozen polyps of some sort
    And about six large-ish aptasia that are going to die as soon as I can kill them.

What I plan to do:
    Clean the glass so I can see. My dad found out that a disposable safety razor with the 'safety' bits pulled off works great on even the really stubborn algae.
    Kill the aptasia. Interestingly, it would seem that waspfish are immune to the stings... My waspy just landed on one a minute ago. He sort of jerked away from it, but now he's just swimming around grabbing food, he doesn't look bothered at all.
    Add more live rock and rearrange a few pieces that I already have to display things better and hopefully let me see the waspy more often. Don't worry, I won't move the base rock... I know that'd stir all sorts of stuff up, and plus it'd wreck the pistol's underground mansion.
    Tug that poor half-hidden conch shell out of the corner, clean it off a little bit, and make it the centerpiece.
    Add some coral frags. A store near us sells things like 5 or so mushroom corals or a little rock with zooanthids or other small, nano-sized frags for $5 each, which is what I'm planning to get... Mushrooms and other non-picky things.
    Add a tuxedo urchin because they're neat and will clean the glass at least some.
    Add a hermit crab or two for food-picking-up duty.
    Add another sand snail to help stir sand.
    Possibly add a seaweed-type thing to help clean the water.

What can a BioCube's original light support? The polyps (whatever they are) seem just fine, so I'm thinking maybe low-light things like 'shrooms, which is fine by me. And it can obviously support aptasia, but I suspect aptasia could grow by candlelight.
    I'm planning to take the fish and snail out, possibly the pistol if I can, and put them in a little 1.2g tank while I'm rearranging. If they have a bit of rock in there with them and an itty-bitty air-powered filter or a bubbler, how long can they stay in there? Damsel is slightly over an inch long, goby is a bit under an inch and a half, waspy is about two inches. I doubt I can catch the pistol without tearing everything up.
    Will injecting lemon juice into an aptasia's mouth via a non-needled syringe kill it? There's only six and they're all fairly large, I think I can do this with them all.
    Fire shrimp; are these any danger to really small fish? I know they can kill other cleaner shrimp... I'm thinking of getting one.
    I know green brittle stars will eat fish, but are there any large-ish brittles who won't kill my fish? It's the shrimpgoby I'm worried about. Also, I'm guessing the bio-load of a brittle star is fairly low... Right? Since they're mostly legs? I'm looking for something that'll hide in the rocks and stick a couple of legs out so I know where it is, something that can clean up for me and maybe replace the potentially coral-nibbling hermits.
    Crinoid squat lobsters; how likely am I to actually see one? It doesn't have to be putting on a parade, I'd just like to be able to see one if I put it in. I know a place that sells some.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I tried the lemon juice thing. I have two left, but the rest are shriveled up and dead. The two left shrank back before I could get the juice into their mouths. It was very effective on the ones I got, though... Shriveled up in little dead piles of gray tentacles. Is it safe to yank it off with tweezers? I'd assume any spores are dead now...
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

0 Not allowed!
    wow, a lot of questions and info for one post

One blue damsel (a peaceful type)
    If by blue damsel you are referring to Blue Damselfish (Chrysiptera cyanea), then you will most likely see a change in temperament once they start to get to the fully grown size. The most common problem with damsel is that they can sometimes become territorial, fighting off other fish from entering their turf. Should that happen, you would most likely have to rehome him to a larger tank. It can be a pretty big risk

Clean the glass so I can see. My dad found out that a disposable safety razor with the 'safety' bits pulled off works great on even the really stubborn algae.
    Your biocube is most likely made of acrylic. If it is, I would not suggest using a metal razor but try something else specifically meant for acrylic to help avoid scratching the surface
    ... I know that'd stir all sorts of stuff up,
    If you were to stir up the substrate, you could get a nitrate spike or even experience other problems with your water parameters because of it. Either be very very careful not to stir up your substrate, or take all the tank inhabitants out of the aquarium and even replace your substrate, unless you have a DSB for biological filtration

Add a hermit crab or two for food-picking-up duty.
    Your bio-cube might even be too small for a single hermit crab. I have 4 in my 120 and that seams to be just enough room for them. You could try one and see how it goes as that might work. Just make sure you keep a lot of empty shells for him to grow into or he could turn on your snails for a new shell

What can a BioCube's original light support?
    Every manufacture of biocubes has different lighting options for there set-up, everything ranging from MH to LED for both fresh water and salt water. If you look at the inside of the lid, you should see what type of lighting you have as well as the color spectrum.

maybe replace the potentially coral-nibbling hermits
    Almost all of the different species of Hermit crabs won’t eat corals. But they certainly have been known to crawl all over them to get at algae, even to the point of stress the coral enough to kill it.

I'm planning to take the fish and snail out, possibly the pistol if I can, and put them in a little 1.2g tank while I'm rearranging.
    I’m sure you would have a rubber maid tote or something like that you could use to hold the fish which would be a whole bigger and better for them.

Crinoid squat lobsters; how likely am I to actually see one? It doesn't have to be putting on a parade, I'd just like to be able to see one if I put it in. I know a place that sells some.
    I never heard of those so I had to google them. Interesting little crab for sure . Live Aquaria stocks them http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...13&pcatid=2913
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-12-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice!
    I'm pretty sure my damsel is fully grown... He hasn't grown in six months. I've had one of these little fellows before, and I'm pretty sure they're nice enough. If he does get mean, I'll be sure to re-home him, but I really love this fellow so I'm hoping he'll stay nice. So much personality in that tiny blue body! I love his little mohawk-fin.

I've actually done the razor thing a few times before without any issues, and in fact I finished about an hour before you posted. No scratches aside from the few previously made by sand caught under my magnetic scrubber.

That whole issue with nitrates why I'm not moving the base rocks. I'm assuming just shifting the top third of an inch worth of sand around is fine? It gets moved around anyway by currents and the shrimp...

I was thinking the really tiny red-leg ones, but they're sort of a half-thought. And I had one red-leg who I'm pretty sure was eating my zooanthids...

I could put them in a bucket instead, but there isn't a lid and I'm not sure if they'd jump.

They are really cool... I've watched them in the sale tank and they seem shy, but that could be just because they're kind of freaked out.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, forgot to say... I checked the lights. One is a Coralife 10,000k 36watt, and one is a Coralife actinic 36watt. I'm just typing what's on the bulbs... I usually have them on at the same time. I turn on the actinic in the morning, then the white bulb a few minutes later, to let the fish have time to wake up.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bucket lids are only about two bucks, and pretty easy to trim for an airline or whatever else you need in the bucket for the fish.