· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default DIY stand for odd dimension 13 gal aquarium.

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm no good at drafting, so you all will have to bear with me. The tank is 24x8x16. What I have in mind is making a 24x8 main frame using one of the more standard designs posted around here, however the base pieces will have greater depth for stability. Planning to use simple but joints, so the side pieces will simply extend forward by roughly 8 inches and maybe behind a couple. Then mitered boards would connect from the top at the base of the tank to the extended foot pieces, making a "ladder shelf" sort of design. To be clear, there will be vertical supports under each corner of the tank. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, but please forgive the hasty mspaint sketch. I promise my woodworking skills are slightly better than my so-called drafting skills. (edit post: it should hopefully go without saying that all of the angles below should be regarded as square :o)

I'm curious as to whether oak 1x3 pieces would support 13 gal, or if the tried and true 2x4 is most suitable. Also curious as to whether each corner should be made with a single vertical support or with two.With the oak, we would probably just leave it open and stain the frame. With 2x4s, we would of course make a cabinet, which wouldn't have that much room but it would be more cost effective, probably more sturdy, although I'm trying to brainstorm for ideas about how to cover the front (or leave it open and panel the inside as well as the out). I have a rough idea for something like a secretary desk cover, but I have no idea if I could actually make such a thing.

Tool wise, I have a square cross cut jig for my skill saw, and hoping I can take the front pieces to a friend's to cut the miters with a chopsaw, as I only have a miter box which does 45 degree cuts very well, but that would make an awkward angle for the base.

Any and all thoughts, suggestions, and tips would be appreciated!

0 Not allowed!
    The ladder shelf might make it a little difficult for tank maintenance should you need to reach over it to get to the tank, but it certainly is a interesting idea

I also like building a 2X4 frame as I find it easiest to overbuild a stand. Using oak 1X3s should also work for a 13 gallon tank as well. Just make sure to brace it very well. The below link can also give you a few more ideas of how to frame it

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/bui...quarium-stand/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you're right about the ladder shelf design. Maybe I could get away with a few inches, but not much. I just don't feel like an 8" base will be stable to support the aquarium. Do you have any ideas for that?

1 Not allowed!
    If it is sitting level, there should not be much of a problem. You do have two options tho:

1: Secure it to the wall behind it. Much like you would use those kits you used to buy for big screen TVs when they first came out to prevent them from falling over
    2: Build the stand wider. As this will only hold about 140 lbs of weight, you could make the stand a little wider and taller than the aquarium. If you would frame it with 2X4s like you would frame the floor of a house (so all edges of the aquarium have direct contact with the beam below) it will hold the weight
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above advice. And I would use 2x4s, especially if you build it bigger than the size of the tank.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Download Google Sketchup. There is a free version, it is easy to use, and works great for designing aquarium stands and canopies.

Depending on how you build it, 1x3 hardwood should be just fine. If you plan on wrapping it in plywood, that would be the all of the bracing you would need. If you do, at least go with 1/2" ply. I use 3/4" birch on nearly everything for the mainframe, then wrap it in the desired species. Usually Alder if it is going to be stained. Something this small could be made to look really nice for relatively cheap.

You could always make the base of the stand larger to keep it from tipping if bumped. It wouldn't take much for a little kid to run up to it and land his weight on it with his hands. My son does this all the time, but luckily my stand is big enough that he doesn't budge it.

0 Not allowed!
    24x8 stand will be stable. If you build the stand using 2x4, then it will be very heavy and hard to tilt. If you are still concern you can always make the stand 24x10 or 24x12. That will leave some room in the back for a hob filter. I built a stand that is 57long x 19deep x 48tall. The stand is very difficult to tilt. A typical stand are usually counter top height which is between 30 and 36 inches