· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Stocking options for 100G

0 Not allowed!
    So, I'm thinking about how to stock my new freshwater tank. So many choices, and tanks never seem large enough!!!!!!! I think I want to pull my 9 platys out of my 55 and leave that tank to the tiger barbs. What I can't decide is if I want a few larger ornamental fish like angel fish, butterfly fish or oscars, or if I should go with a large school of small shoaling fish, or several different types of smaller fish (catfish, platys, rasboras, etc). Ideas anyone?!?!?! I like lively active tanks. I've heard clown loaches are fun too…. Oh too many choices.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    The options for yourself are pretty much endless. Really depends if you want a community set up, mid/large cichlid set up.

Mines would have to be something like:
    1 Severum
    2 Blue Acaras
    10 Denison Barbs or 10 congo tetras
    1 Synodontis sp (maybe a clown, or featherfin)
    Then either a schooling bottom fish like clown loaches (assuming you bought them in the 2-3inch region as they take years to grow) or else maybe a large school of brochis cories
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    A group of adult clowns will need a 6ft tank.

It all depends on personal preference and a bit on the tank dimensions as well. If it comes with decent lights you could do a well planted dutch style and keep a large shoal of a small fish. Could look stunning.
    Another option is a river setup. Few powerheads for extra flow and you could well do something like this:

What's your water like? If you got really soft water there's various blackwater biotopes you could do. A driftwood setup for 3-4 panaque and supplement with a shoal of diamond tetra for example or gold tetra. Would be a long term commitment though given the lifespan of these panaque. I saw a superb panaque tank not that long ago. Jumble of wood, load of frogbit on the top and a shoal of at least 30 Hemigrammus rodwayi.

0 Not allowed!
    Could do a rainbow fish tank also.

I love mine, I have a smaller variety, parva rainbows, and the colors are great

0 Not allowed!
    Where are the platies going to go? If they are destined for the 100G you can rule out any large cichlids that they will be lunch for.

Do you want planted or hardscape only?

As talldutchie asks, what kind of water do you get from your tap?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tap water is on the hard side. Angel fish wouldn't be able to eat the Platys would they? I'm debating on planting. I don't think I can get enough light with the fixtures that came with the tank. So, I'd need to add more light fixtures, or stick to hardscape/fake.

Awards Showcase

TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    I think two large schools of Denison barbs and Congo tetra would look great together with maybe Pearl Gourami as the bigger fish and a little bigger catfish like Porthole (Dianema urostriatum) would look well together.
    Last edited by steeler58; 12-10-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by saffikeagan View Post
    My tap water is on the hard side. Angel fish wouldn't be able to eat the Platys would they? I'm debating on planting. I don't think I can get enough light with the fixtures that came with the tank. So, I'd need to add more light fixtures, or stick to hardscape/fake.
    If your water is hard you could do a superb group of Boesemani rainbowfish. They will do well in hard water.

0 Not allowed!
    He's got the room for boesemani but I doubt if they would do well without plants.

The river tank I posted could work with moderately hard.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah right, I thought Denisons were soft-water loving.

That is an awesome looking set-up though.