· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime View Post
    No problem. When you remove the filter head, you have to unlock the impeller assembly by turning the lock counter-clockwise and the door should pop open. Once accomplished pull straight up on the impeller and it should come out. You will notice there is a little resistance because it is held in by a magnet. Just clean the impeller with a toothbrush and clean the openings on it with a q-tip, if needed. As for the o-ring, petroleum jelly works perfectly, just make sure you don't gob it on as it is not needed. You should just place a very thin layer over the entire ring.
    Thanks Jeff, I'm gonna check it out tonight, along with lubing the o-ring a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    A nylon sock over the intake is a great idea! Cheap too.
    Yeah, I need to do something, that might do the trick, thanks!

Hey guys, listen how much of a dunce I am...after I had put the filter back together and had it up and running, I discovered that I had left out the top retaining ring that holds the top filter pad down (it was in the bottom of the bucket I used to clean with tank water, hidden in the dirty black water). So i figured "no big deal", shut the filter down, turned the valves off, and proceeded to unhook the clips that hold the filter head on, COMPLETELY forgetting the water in the filter was still under pressure...I got a full-frontal of tank water spray all over me, the stand, and the floor before i could get the top clipped back down....Mrs. Slap was not pleased, to say the least.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

2 Not allowed!
    Sometimes learning the hard way is the best way. Hopefully no permanent damage was done.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, you always want to bleed off the pressure (open valves and let excess water out) before removing the head from the canister. That must have taken some doing to remove that. Glad it is still working. Also, I find that if you shine a bright flashlight at the canister, it is easy to see buildup and the like on the pads/ media. Another thing I have done was hook up a light housing inside the stand so I can see what I'm doing. lol Have done that with all my tanks. It really helps.
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 12-09-2013 at 04:41 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes learning the hard way is the best way. Hopefully no permanent damage was done.
    No damage to the filter that I can see, it is running smoothly and quietly as it was before...but you are right, I won't forget that anytime soon!,,,the thing is I had JUST bled off the pressure when i went to take it apart the first time, I remembered it then, but not the second time!...it is no fun getting old and forgetful, lol

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime View Post
    Yeah, you always want to bleed off the pressure (open valves and let excess water out) before removing the head from the canister. That must have taken some doing to remove that. Glad it is still working. Also, I find that if you shine a bright flashlight at the canister, it is easy to see buildup and the like on the pads/ media. Another thing I have done was hook up a light housing inside the stand so I can see what I'm doing. lol
    I know, see above, I had JUST done it the correct way moments before, then totally forgot to do it again...duh...the flashlight idea is a good one, thanks again!....my stand is open, but it still is kind of dark under there

1 Not allowed!
    My advice (for convenience and reducing stress on your filter by constantly opening it up):
    1. Get a nice, dense, pre-filter sponge to go over your intake pipe. Swill and scrunch this under the tap thoroughly each week until the water runs clear.
    2. Only clean your filter if the current drops off or you see a deterioration in water clarity. As dirty as that filter looks, it probably doesn't need it if your flow and clarity are fine.

I have an Eheim Pro 3 running on a 350 litre and I've not opened it up yet It's been set up since July.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks firefly, I need to start searching online for a good pre-filter sponge like you suggest, that will fit well over the Eheim intake...any suggestions on sponges you guys have had success with would be greatly appreciated

0 Not allowed!
    A nylon sock over the intake is a great idea! Cheap too.
    I tried that and found it clogs in a few days. Best solution for me so far has been a fluval edge intake sponge.

As to cleaning..

I clean mine when the flow becomes affected. Simple as that. And yes the insides can get really mucky. That muck is great for the garden though, especially flowering plants love it!
    in this case perhaps every 3 monhts? Also get a hose brush and give those a clean as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Thanks firefly, I need to start searching online for a good pre-filter sponge like you suggest, that will fit well over the Eheim intake...any suggestions on sponges you guys have had success with would be greatly appreciated
    Eheim makes the 4004320 which is intended for this. Works really well but I found it to be a big eyesore.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 12-09-2013 at 05:57 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks dutchie, my intake is mostly hidden behind a large Amazon sword...I also have found that the nylon stockings clog very quickly...thanks for the pre-filter suggestions...the Fluval fits your Eheim intake well?

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, you are right dutchie, that Eheim filter is large and bulky...does anyone have any experience with this one? http://www.amazon.com/4004620-Prefil.../dp/B00494N97O

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps Im pessimistic but I don't see that thing work.

I got this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250 which fit my intake strainer like a glove. Yours is slightly bigger so you may need to make a few small incisiions in it but it should work.

I've also heard good things about stainless mesh like this one http://r.ebay.com/wbrV7N but no personal experience.