· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA 
    Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus 
    got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 
    So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Canister Cleaning?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,
    I have an Eheim 2215 Classic canister filter on my 40 gallon breeder community tank. I cannot remember if I read it here on the AC, or in the crummy instruction booklet that came with the filter, or somewhere else, that a recommended cleaning of the filter itself should be every 3 months.

The filter had been running for a little over 3 months when I decided to break it down and give it a cleaning this weekend. To put it mildly, the inside of the filter was disgustingly filthy. Both sponges were almost unrecognizable, they looked more like big clumps of mud. The water in the filter was almost black with dirt. This was the first cleaning of the filter, so I figure that the tank start-up, with the cloudy water from my unwashed pool filter sand, may have contributed to a bit more dirt/nastiness than usual, but this was really bad.

So I'm thinking that every 3 months is not often enough for cleaning this particular canister filter, and I'd like to know, how often do you guy clean your canister filters? I thought Mrs. Slap was going to become physically ill when she saw the filth, and I gotta admit, I came close t it myself.

I'm embarrassed to admit how filthy it was, and I don't ever want to let it get that bad again. As of today, the water in the tank may be the clearest and cleanest-looking I've ever seen it.

How often do you guys clean your canister filters? I clean the AC30 (HOB) filter on Lauren's 10g tank once a month, and that seems adequate.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

1 Not allowed!
    I have the exact same model on my 40G I clean it every 4months. All depends on your stock and feeding routine.

So if you had a tank filled with plecos and you overfeed the cleaning will be more needed than lets say a tank with guppies and moderate feeding
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA 
    Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus 
    got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 
    So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Scotti....you can see my stocking in my sig...and i only feed once a day, in the morning, in amounts the fish can finish in one minute or so

2 Not allowed!
    Check the canister every 6 weeks, Slap. I suspect that a lot of the crap in it this time came from the set up. You may be able to go longer than 6 weeks, but it can't hurt to check at the end of 6 weeks.

Do you have a prefilter sponge on the intake?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

2 Not allowed!
    I also clean my 2215 about every 4-5 mos. I have a colony of Neolamp. Multi's in a 20 long. (Tanganyikan African Cichlids, for those who may not know.) I just wanted to point out not to forget to lube the o ring and clean the impeller assembly, as a lot of people forget to do that when doing filter maint.

2 Not allowed!
    Also, you should remove the activated charcoal pad as it is not needed unless you are removing meds. I like to use a second fiberfill or cotton batting pad in its place for additional mechanical filtration. Additionally, I like to use black pantyhose on my intakes to prevent larger plant matter and fry from going into the filter. Turning your filter(s) off when feeding also helps to prevent food particles from getting sucked up by the filter, thus eliminating the need for undue maintenance.
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 12-09-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Check the canister every 6 weeks, Slap. I suspect that a lot of the crap in it this time came from the set up. You may be able to go longer than 6 weeks, but it can't hurt to check at the end of 6 weeks.

Do you have a prefilter sponge on the intake?
    Thanks Taurus...I think it would be a good idea for Eheim to make the filter housing clear, so that it would be easier to do a visual inspection for dirt before deciding to tear it down and do a cleaning...and nope, no pre-filter....maybe that is why I found a live RCS in the "mechanical" filter rings at the bottom of the canister, lol...spooned him out and put him back into the tank, he was fine

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime View Post
    I also clean my 2215 about every 4-5 mos. I have a colony of Neolamp. Multi's in a 20 long. (Tanganyikan African Cichlids, for those who may not know.) I just wanted to point out not to forget to lube the o ring and clean the impeller assembly, as a lot of people forget to do that when doing filter maint.
    Ooops, I wiped the O-ring with paper towels, but did not lube it...what kind of "lube" is safe, petroleum jelly or the like?...and of course I forgot to clean the impeller, I must admit I am not quite sure how to get to it in the head assembly, but I know it is probably not difficult...any pointers?...I could do it when I get home today

Also, you should remove the activated charcoal pad as it is not needed unless you are removing meds. I like to use a second fiberfill or cotton batting pad in its place for additional mechanical filtration. Additionally, I like to use black pantyhose on my intakes to prevent larger plant matter and fry from going into the filter. Turning your filter(s) off when feeding also helps to prevent food particles from getting sucked up by the filter, thus eliminating the need for undue maintenance.
    Thanks Jeff, the charcoal pad never went in when I set it up, but I am holding onto it...and I like the pantyhose idea, but it gets dirty so quickly, tried it before on the AC30 HOB...and thanks for the tip about turning off the filter at feeding time, makes perfect sense

1 Not allowed!
    No problem. When you remove the filter head, you have to unlock the impeller assembly by turning the lock counter-clockwise and the door should pop open. Once accomplished pull straight up on the impeller and it should come out. You will notice there is a little resistance because it is held in by a magnet. Just clean the impeller with a toothbrush and clean the openings on it with a q-tip, if needed. As for the o-ring, petroleum jelly works perfectly, just make sure you don't gob it on as it is not needed. You should just place a very thin layer over the entire ring.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post

I like the pantyhose idea, but it gets dirty so quickly, tried it before on the AC30 HOB...and thanks for the tip about turning off the filter at feeding time, makes perfect sense
    A nylon sock over the intake is a great idea! Cheap too.

0 Not allowed!
    No problem. When you remove the filter head, you have to unlock the impeller assembly by turning the lock counter-clockwise and the door should pop open. Once accomplished pull straight up on the impeller and it should come out. You will notice there is a little resistance because it is held in by a magnet. Just clean the impeller with a toothbrush and clean the openings on it with a q-tip, if needed. As for the o-ring, petroleum jelly works perfectly, just make sure you don't gob it on as it is not needed. You should just place a very thin layer over the entire ring.
    It's basically the same as the AC30 impeller cleaning although the orientation is different. Great advice Jeff.