· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Nano - shrimp house

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I`m presenting you with my midget tank: a nano aquael 30 cm x 30 cm x 35 cm, started 5 days ago. (about 7 gallons)

Lighting 11 W 6500K.
    Substrate Shirakura Red Bee Sand.
    Filtering: Aquael Mini Pat with sponge (I exchanged the stock sponge with a larger one for bigger filtration area).
    Fertilization: Half the dose recomended for this volume every 2 days (so practicly 1/4 of the recomended dose) with feropol 24 and feropol.

Plants:

Java moss
    Flame moss
    Christmas moss
    Didiplis Diandra
    Anubias Nana Petite.

Population: for now only hitchhiking snails that came with the plants. I will put in at some point 1-2 assassin snails if they get too many. Shrimps will go in in about 3 weeks (1 Caridina and 1 neocaridina species - not sure which ones yet), after the cycling is done (which is being made with bicarbonate of ammonia). I also squeezed one of the filtering sponges from my larger tank in the nano tank.

PH-ul at the moment is between 6.2-6.4.

And now the pictures:

Aquael 30 L - 1.jpg

Aquael 30 L - 2.jpg

Portions of the Java Moss (on the rock) and Flame moss (on the wood) got brownish parts, although I see small green buds on the Java moss. Do you think there`s a problem with the mosses changing color? They were all green when put in the tank.

Nano - Flame brown.jpg

Nano - java brown.jpg
    Last edited by arathemis; 12-09-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank, it will be nice when the cyclings finished and the shrimp are in. Keep us updated
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

1 Not allowed!
    Looks very promising. See if you can do something to hid the filter a bit better, and maybe add a background?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don`t want to add a background, as the tank is on a bar-like table. So i have access from behind as well. I`m expecting that the moss will hide the filter later on (in a few months).

Do you think the browning of the moss is a problem? See the Java moss and the Flame moss.

1 Not allowed!
    Ah right ok - can we have a full tank shot from the front then?

What's your temperature? Moss can go brown when it is too warm for it (in my experience). Some initial browning is to be expected when you first put it in the tank though so I wouldn't worry too much.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is the front in the pictures. From the back I check the heater and the didiplis plants. :). I can also see the side when i`m going around the bar. I hope you understand the position of the tank in the room.

The temperature is 23-24 degrees Celsius.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah right ok.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice! I'm not sure if you'd be open to this idea, but to me that tank just begs for a single sparkling gourami. Look them up... Gorgeous little things. They get maybe an inch long, so I don't think they'd bother the shrimp.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Don`t think that I`ll put any fish. Any extra mess will be bad, as I will not be able to properly vacuum the substrate with all the shrimps/shrimplets in the tank. I will even use a small tray to feed the shrimp which I`ll vacuum after dinner :).

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Love the little tank! Makes me want one!!