· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Yay, Get to Play with a 40 Gallon! :)

0 Not allowed!
    After all of my mom's fish died in her smaller tank, she was thinking about what to do with it. I asked her if she'd be okay with me 'having' it - she excitedly agreed.
    She'll get to have a pretty tank in the living room and won't have to be the one that takes care of it.

Probably tomorrow, I'll take all of the decorations and gravel out of it and do a thorough cleaning. I want to get new decorations and gravel, since I don't like what's in there. Not to mention, it's coated in super thick algae.
    I think I need to get a new light for it, as well as a new filter, since I think the filter in there broke down a LONG time ago. Also need to get a heater for it, since there isn't one in there.

I'm super excited! Going to do a fishless cycle. I was lucky with my 13 gallon in that I did a fish-in cycle and everyone survived. Would rather not push my luck or sacrifice fish.

This stuff is addicting, and quick. Haha.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Congratulations! Planning and setting up a new tank is always fun. I hope you take lots of pictures and start a journal, I love to read about how others set up their tanks.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    A 40g offers a lot of possibilities. Here's some inspiration:

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a quick question. The tank is next to a window, and there's nowhere else to put it. If I get a background for it, will that help decrease algae growth? It's rampant on the back wall of the tank where the light hits it in one spot between the curtains.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I have two tanks in front of a big window in my living room. They both have backgrounds and no noticeable algae.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
    I have a quick question. The tank is next to a window, and there's nowhere else to put it. If I get a background for it, will that help decrease algae growth? It's rampant on the back wall of the tank where the light hits it in one spot between the curtains.
    In general, yes, that will help

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

1 Not allowed!
    Keep us posted on what you do with the tank. I see you mentioned your getting a new filter, remember manufacturers rate their filters before there is any seeded media in it. After the media seeds then the flow rate can decrease to as little as half. So a 10g filter is good for a 5g tank, 20g filter is good for a 10g tank and so on. I have two tanks in the region of 40G and run 1 external and 1 internal filter on each. This gives me peace of mind and is also mega beneficial to the fish. Fluval U4 internal filter (I think) and a Fluval 406 external.

Sorry for babbling on but I believe filtration is key to a good set up
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    It's certainly one of the keys.

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Ahhh, MTS (multiple tank syndrome) strikes again!!! Congrats on your new tank! You will have lots of options with a 40 gal.

For filtration on a 40 gal - for a HOB, an Aquaclear 110 (for 110 gal) and for a canister an Eheim 2215 (for 93 gal). Either of these will give you excellent filtration using the included sponge and extra bio media.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"