· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default A Couple Questions

0 Not allowed!
    Alright so long time no see you guys. Sorry I haven't been as active on the forum, i've been pretty stressed due to highschool ending for me soon and having to worry about college and such. Anyways I've been moving things around in my tanks more and a lot of my fish are maturing and becoming sexually active. Here are my questions for you guys.

1. Does anyone know what the best fish to purchase that stays relatively small and consumes diatoms and brown algae? I have otos in my 10 gallon that keep the algae managed but for some reason its absolutely exploded in my 20 gallon. The cories occasionally cruise the tank walls and eat some of it but it still grows profusely. I've removed the plants from that tank and I'm not dosing ferts any longer so hopefully I can balance the tank a bit more but i'd still like to purchase an algae eating fish for that tank. I was looking at either a species of Oto(a larger species preferably as I have a Bumblebee Catfish in there and he'd eat anything that was small enough) or an Ancistrus.

2. Does anyone have any pointers on how to breed Otocinclus vittatus? I have 4 in my 10 gallon and 3 of them are females that are absolutely gorged with eggs. I did a 80% water change today, that's what stimulated my apistos to breed, does that work for Otos also?

Just in case no one read my journal update my apistos bred last sunday and the female's eggs hatched yesterday. I now have at least a dozen wigglers that she's doing an excellent job of caring for. Hopefully they grow quickly and do well. I doubt they'll survive in the tank do to there also being Dwarf Pencilfish in there but you can always hope!
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think much will eat diatoms and brown algae... You could add more live plants to outcompete them? Java moss won't need fertilizer of any sort, it doesn't even need a special light, and it might help. Java Ferns should also do pretty well, as long as the tank has any sort of light at all.

I don't know much about the ottos... I'd guess the water change probably did it, though.
    I've read that dry leaves in the tank, particularly oak leaves, will grow a bio-film that fish fry love. They'll tint your water slightly, but pencilfish and ottos like that. Maybe a few dry oak leaves would be useful for raising the fry, and I bet the adults would like them too.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I already have a few Catappa leaves in there actually. They've been in for about a month so they're already starting to grow micro-organisms and such. The apisto fry are doing well and are being cared for by their mother properly. If they can survive long enough to become free-swimming and not get eaten by my pencilfish I'll move my male to my 20 gallon and try to raise the fry.

I'd prefer not to add any plants to my 20 actually. I had a bunch of Crypts in there but I removed them today. Their leaves just got covered in brown algae and they just didn't grow properly. Plus the substrate in my 20 gallon is sand and I have cories who were constantly digging up the roots of the plants so it was just a pain to have them. I'm just going to go with an Ancistrus. Even if it doesn't consume the algae vigorously i've read they'll go after it. I know it won't keep it healthy and I'll have to substitute other foods in but I don't mind. I had one a couple years ago that died fairly quickly. I'd love to try my hand at them again.

Anyways thanks for the reply and help. Hopefully my apisto fry survive!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome! I still have to suggest Java moss, since I think all the listed fish will enjoy it. You can just toss in a hunk of the stuff, small fish like pencils love to duck themselves into and out of moss. It grows in these tangles like loosely balled green yarn, and unless there's an absolutely gigantic amount of algae it won't grow on the moss enough to do much to it.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    1, Cories don't eat much algae, otos do. Removing plants is a bad idea in this case, leaves more nutrients for the algae. A mature ancistrus will eat algae but possibly not enough.
    2. It should, they're a seasonal spawner. They also require the water change to be with really clean and soft water. There's an article on planet cat.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with talldutchie that removing the plants will only make your situation worse. The key is to find out why you have sudden problems with a mature tank. At least I'm assuming the tank is mature?

The only thing I can think of to help you out is otos. I've heard Amano shrimp do a good job too.

0 Not allowed!
    Amanos may consume some filamentous algae, but I don't think their little pincers are made to scrape diatoms or other surface covering algae.

I don't know whether it has to be a fish or whether you are flexible, but a crew or nerites is probably the best diatom remover there is. The big ones will deal with your hard scape and the small horned ones also occasionally crawl on plants. Malaysian trumpets are also very good cleaners by sheer number, and also enthusiastically climb all over plants(nerites like hard surfaces more). However, these sheer numbers may also be an eyesore for certain aquarists.

otos are hard to breed in captivity. Even though they are ubiquitous they still are wild caught and so I assume they will not breed without ideal soft water conditions. You also will require multiple otos to get things going, and simply having a number of small grey sucker mouths is not going to cut it. There are multiple, fairly similar species in the otocinclus genus, and since these fish are wild caught there is no one species of oto being imported. I have 6 otos, and I can observe at least 3 and possibly 4 distinct forms, likely all different species but all purchased as "otocinclus affinis". In short, you will likely need to soften water like with most other wild caught soft water fish, and make sure your group of suckermouths all are indeed the same species.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for the replies. I think my 20 gallon is having algae issues simply because I changed the lighting. The lighting used to be one of those cheap 15 watt aquarium bulbs that you'd get from WalMart(they're not meant for growing plants). When I got plants I upgraded the lighting and that's about when it started having algae issues. The tank is mature and has been set up for about 6 or 7 months. I think I'm going to go with an Ancistrus, simply because I've always wanted one, but I'm also going to try some different things and see if I can't be rid of the algae. I'd prefer not to go with plants simply because the substrate in the tank is really small grain sand that allows the cories to dig up plant roots easily.

On the Otos. I've had them all for several months, some longer than others, and I'm positive all 4 of them are Otocinclus vittatus. I do have incredibly soft water, from what I can remember my water had a hardness of 3 dkH. Along with that my tap water has a pH of 7.5. With the Catappa leaves in my aquarium the tank's pH drops to about 6.8. Hopefully this will condition them to breed. If nothing changes in the next week or so with them I'll add another Catappa leaf to lower the pH and soften the water more.

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt blackwater will encourage them to breed. Otos love a planted habitat. I think you need to simulate rain season for them. What temp is that tank running?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well the Otos are in my 10 gallon, which is indeed planted and provides them with plenty of cover. The tank is currently running at 76 degrees Fahrenheit.