· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    The brownish-reddish algae is probably diatoms, not algae. They are common in newly set up tanks and usually go away on their own once the tank balances out and the nutrients (silicates) are gone.
    The 30% water change you did should have dropped the nitrates a little, well by 30%, have you checked your tap water for nitrates yet?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This morning's test results were a disappointment to say the least:

Ammonia 0
    NitrItes 2ppm (or more)
    NitrAtes 40ppm (or more)

This is after a 75% water change yesterday, a 25% the day before, and still no budge in nitrAtes.

This is also the second time in this cycle that I've had two days in a row with 0 ammo/0 nitrItes and then on the third day the freaking nitrItes were back again!

I feel like I must be doing something wrong but am trying to keep it consistent throughout.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I feel ready to give up, in large part because it seems like all this chemistry is completely beyond me and all one reads is that everyone's experience is different so there's no norms to go by. But these parameter changes just don't make any sense to my little brain.

In response to questions: Firefly, I have a dozen stems of cabomba, a medium amazon sword, a couple mosses and a couple moss balls, a couple banana plants, two anubias, a micro sword and a rotala plant.

I've cut the light time to 8 hours for now, as I'm fish-less, and if I decide to continue on with this I will get a timer, seems like a good tool.

Mommy1, I'm glad to hear this "algae" may be just a part of the process and it may actually resolve without drastic measures.

I really don't even feel like doing anything with it this morning, so discouraged. Will dose the ammonia and go take care of the rest of my life for a while.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Forgot to mention, I've checked my tap water a number of times, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates....so it's not coming from there.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    You are doing a fishless cycle right? Why are you changing water? When doing a cycle using bottled ammonia you don't need to change out any water. Just keep adding ammonia once a day or every other day, when it reads 0ppm. I am thinking the reason you are reading 0ppm nitrite for a couple days and then get a reading is because you are removing them with water changes, then they build back up. If there are no fish in the tank don't worry about the nitrates, let them build and then do a big water change at the end of the cycle. Doing water changes during a fishless cycle is just prolonging the event. Don't change water and don't clean anything in the tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Awards Showcase

Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus 
    right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 
    Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Please don't get discouraged, we will get this right one way or another...when you can, do a HUGE water change (80-90%), and be sure to add whatever water conditioner you've been using...let it sit for a few hours, then post back
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    You are doing a fishless cycle right? Why are you changing water? When doing a cycle using bottled ammonia you don't need to change out any water. Just keep adding ammonia once a day or every other day, when it reads 0ppm. I am thinking the reason you are reading 0ppm nitrite for a couple days and then get a reading is because you are removing them with water changes, then they build back up. If there are no fish in the tank don't worry about the nitrates, let them build and then do a big water change at the end of the cycle. Doing water changes during a fishless cycle is just prolonging the event. Don't change water and don't clean anything in the tank.
    I did a large water change because I had large nitrates and I need to know if I can get them down with a water change. When I order fish they will be here the next day....am sure glad I did the water change because it did NOT lower my nitrates....if I had fish here they would have had to go in regardless.

I haven't been doing water changes until I hit this point where I thought I was cycled but still had had huge nitrAtes....see thread above.

1 Not allowed!
    If your ammonia is dropping to zero within 24hrs and your nitrite readings are zero your cycle is complete and there is no harm in doing water changes now to get nitrates down; it'll be especially helpful if you are experiencing algae outbreaks.

Keep dosing ammonia until you stock the tank. It's best if you fully stock the tank in one go when completing a fishless cycle like this (this avoids any future mini-cycles).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

1 Not allowed!
    Don't get discouraged, although I understand the frustration. It took me 6 weeks to cycle a 5 gal Spec V that was well planted (plants are supposed to help a little). I can't remember now just how long it took the first time I got to zero ammonia and nitrites for a couple of days, 40-60 nitrates, then for some reason I got the ammonia and nitrites back. But I just kept at it and finally it all came into place.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure you are doing the test correctly. If there is 0 nitrates in the tap and you change water the nitrates would be diluted and it would show when testing.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This morning my testing was unchanged, meaning 0 nitrItes, 0 ammonia, and nitrAtes 80+

I did a 95+% water change, added Prime, and tested three hours later. Finally! NitrAtes have dropped down to about 10ppm, with 0 nitrItes.

Unfortunately, my API test showed ammonia at 4ppm. I do have some ammonia in my tap water. I have been also checking free ammonia with Seachem this week because I have read that using Prime will make the API ammonia test unreliable. The Seachem free ammonia is very hard for me to read this time; usually it's quite obviously low at 0.01 to 0.02. Today when tested at the same time as the API ammonia test the Seachem sensor is almost a violet color which I can't match to the color strip.

Of course, normal water changes will only be 25-30% which I would hope will not create a large ammonia jolt. Will be curious to see if the ammonia reads 0 tomorrow morning....if it does (and if nitrItes stay at zero and nitrAtes stay low) then I'm thinking I can order some fish.

What say you folks?