· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Slate Bottom Brackish?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon Metaframe aquarium with a slate bottom. Would this be ok to use with brackish water? I have a Green Spotted Puffer Fish that I would LOVE to move into this bigger tank, but am not sure of the slates reaction with the salt.

Any advice is welcome!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You're gonna have to get someone else's opinion, but I've seen slate in pure saltwater and I don't see why it would be a problem, assuming we're talking about rock.
    I've never heard of a slate bottom tank... Is that a tank with actual stone for a bottom?
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is a steel-framed glass aquarium with actual black slate as the bottom. From the 1960's, early 1970's.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds really cool! Are you planning to put some sort of substrate in or just keep the slate bare?
    I still don't think it'd be a problem, but I don't have experience with those, don't take my word for it.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd use sand as a substrate. And yes, the aquarium is very cool. I was lucky and got it with the original stand in trade for a table and two bar stools.

1 Not allowed!
    Haven't seen a slate bottom tank in a while, very cool. I would test the seal all the way around to make sure there are no leaks. Might even be a good time to replace it.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

1 Not allowed!
    Ive seen people using slate bottoms for freshwater and brackish. However not the actual base made of slate, more like slate tiles covering a glass base. Either way as long as the seal holds you should be golden!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

1 Not allowed!
    I have slate in a brackish tank, no issues.

The steel however? You might be in for a rusty surprise. Salt creep still happens with brackish, and I have rusted out a wrench and a screwdriver leaving them on the top of the tank for a few weeks.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?