· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default I feel horrible for asking this. What will eat baby guppies, but leave adults alone?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm almost positive the guppy I saved from my mom's tank and put with my three is a female. I think someone else on the forum said that the three I have are males. The new one is quite a bit bigger, has a smaller tail fin, and has a big belly. Not to mention the other three won't leave her alone....

I don't think she's pregnant right now, but it's a possibility, given she was probably with other males before they all died in my mom's tank. If she's not, she will be soon though, I'm sure.

I only have a 13 gallon tank, so I can't have a katrillion little guppies swimming around in there. What's fish will eat the babies, but not try to kill the adults?

0 Not allowed!
    Adult guppies. A single mollie or platy. If you don't take any special measures only a small percentage will survive. With a bit of effort you can usually give them away

0 Not allowed!
    In the long run (and even the short term as you've already seen), it's not the best situation to leave the one female in a tank with three males. She will be continually pursued by all three. It should be 3 females for each male. I would try to find her a better home.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think other livebearers are efficient fry predators. Livebearers will take insects, but are not designed as predators of other fish. I have a tank full of endler guppies, and for the most part even the youngest fry are ignored. A half hearted chase ensues when a fry happens to find itself directly in front of an adult, but the big fish quickly gives up after about 2 seconds. I cannot really think of a good predator of fry for a 13 gallon. Maybe a small gourami, a female betta or some other anabantid.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your new guppy is definitely female, and definitely pregnant. She will continue to be pregnant...she can even hold sperm for months if removed from a male's presence. Best bet is to find her somewhere else to live. Even with a predator one or two will survive eventually, and if it's a female....oh boy. If you want to keep her, you need to get more females so she isn't harassed to death (males can be..ahem...persistent).

Best predators will be honey or dwarf gouramis, or a female betta (they can be quite pretty). Don't get a male betta, or he will likely attack the male guppies. Usually, fish eat any other fish that fit in their mouths.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    dwarf gouramis is the most aggressive of the 3 suggested by Azurescriber.
    honey gouramis are poor predators. they are timid, tiny, and have tinier mouths. mine have problems with flake pieces that my white cloud mountain minnows gulp down easily.
    I would go with a female betta. As Azurescriber mentioned a male may get aggressive with male guppies, but also will have a hard time catching fry due to its floppy, flowing finnage.
    bettas are slightly bigger than honey gouramis, but have a much larger gape.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, you're not being horrible for asking! Don't worry...
    Hmm, I'd agree with the female betta. They're usually nice, and they come in loads of colors and patterns. Plus, in a 13g, a female betta can really shine. I have one warning; most females are nice, but every now and then you get really mean ones.
    You can skip past this fat bit if you don't want a long-ish story. Look for the bit in bold, that's the summary thing.

Over my fishkeeping experiences, I've kept quite a few female bettas in community tanks. I've had most of them behave well for me, although some of them did chase and sort of half-nip the other fish for about half an hour until they got bored. When they got done with that, they ignored the other fish for their whole life. In short, if there's a little chasing, don't be too concerned.
    My warning here, though, pertains to this one gorgeous female I used to have... Beautiful thing, this soft light green like the wings of a luna moth. She was living in her own tank for a while and I decided to give it a try... Put her in the main tank. She was fine for about five minutes, then this danio got just a little bit too close to her. She sort of pounced on the poor danio and I had to grab my net to get her away from it! The danio lost some scales and chunks of fin, but he was okay, just really scared.

This isn't to say that female bettas are a bad idea, just keep an eye on them for a little while... Some chasing and a little nipping is normal at first, but if she goes into 'whirlwind of scaly betta death' mode, you've gotten a rare mean one.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    One to three akysis catfish would work nicely in that size tank. They're too small to eat adult guppies but will happily pick off the fry.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.