· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Considering a leaf fish...

0 Not allowed!
    I meant Ctenopoma, not leaf fish... Copy-paste typo.
    I currently have a 29g biocube that's set up for saltwater, and I am considering changing that. I fell in love with leaf fish of most types a little while ago, and I'm fairly sure some types can be kept in a tank that size. I think I could make a gorgeous tank for one of these fellows... I have two concerns, though.
    One is that they may refuse to eat anything but live and I'd rather not have to deal with that... I read that the little ones can be taught to eat frozen, is this true? I'm not picturing any species in particular yet, I'm looking for a less picky one.
    My other concern is that they might be really shy. I don't mind if one is a bit shy and ducks behind things now and then, but I'd prefer if it was at least slinking out or sitting somewhere for about half the time. Should I set up a tank for one, it would have lots of leaves, wood, and plants for them to hide behind, as well as floating plants to dim the lights.
    Can anyone maybe tell me about a species that can be fed frozen, doesn't mind living in a 29g, and won't hide all the time? I found out that there are a few species that apparently get just around 3" long... Do you suppose one of those could share a 29g with a few African Butterflyfish?
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 12-04-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I strongly suggest you get one as they are my fave rate fish ever! They strike so fast and to see them mimic a leaf is awesome. Your first concern is they are shy mine liked to hide in his log and in plants but they do that to camouflage not because they are shy. Two I fed mine cichlid pellets and maybe a small mealworm or cricket here or there. So the only issue you may have is tank mates if you plan on getting anything under 3" he may try to eat him.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had one in my tank a while ago. Shy at first, but once they get used to you and you feed them frequently, they'll start to swim right up to you when you approach the tank. Awesome fish!