· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Less than a Week, is it Already Done??

0 Not allowed!
    I set my little tank up on Friday. I took the water in to have it tested today, and the levels were all in the 'perfect' range.

I took some gravel from one of my mom's established tanks and have it in there, along with my (now) four guppies. My mom tested the water from her smaller tank (which had one guppy in it after every single one of the other fish in there died) and the nitrates were WAY high, so I put that guppy in my tank.

I did a water change (about 20%?) - gonna have the water tested again tomorrow.

Is it already done cycling if all the levels were in the ideal range? Or is my tank just messing with me and getting me excited before everything starts going crazy?

When can I safely take out the established gavel? Should I leave the filter cartridge in there for a little longer than the recommended time for the first time? (Says to change it out every month, not sure if that would force me to restart my cycle).

I doubt it's fully cycled, but if it's not, how many days should I be getting ideal readings from water tests until it's fully cycled?

1 Not allowed!
    since you've already added seeded gravel, your tank is likely cycled. I would wait a few weeks to be sure that a good colony of bacteria has started growing in the cartridge.
    don't remove and replace the cartridge every month. you are correct about being suspicious that this may mess up your cycle. It's mostly a manufacturer's ploy to get you to buy more stuff from them.
    even most of the "disposable" cartridges can be cleaned. you only need to replace the cartridge only when you think it really is disintegrating or when it is starting to clog up so bad as to inhibit filter flow regardless of any cleaning.
    before throwing a cartridge out just scrub and squeeze it out in the tank to dislodge bacteria into the water column. all the bacteria will eventually get caught in the new cartridge due to the filter moving water through it.

3. Default

4 Not allowed!
    How big is your "little tank"? How much gravel did you take from your mom's established tanks, how long has your mom had these tanks? Where did you go to have your water tested? Sorry for all the questions, just need more info. IMO I would not believe it's cycled yet. I think it's just too early to be 100% confident that it's cycled. Just gravel alone from an established tank is not going to do much in growing the beneficial bacteria. The bacteria really grows in the filter, not so much in the gravel. It takes awhile to establish beneficial bacteria. Your water levels could be in the "safe zone", and yet still be oh so close to unsafe zone. I'll continue to check your water on a daily basis, if possible twice a day. Water conditions can quickly change in new tanks, specially in little tanks.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
    I set my little tank up on Friday. I took the water in to have it tested today, and the levels were all in the 'perfect' range. I
    I did a water change (about 20%?) - gonna have the water tested again tomorrow.
    Along with all the other advice given, it's dangerous to have someone in a LFS test your water - they will generally tell you that your water levels are "perfect" even if everything is 0, which means an uncycled tank. If you are cycling, the best thing to do is get your own liquid testing kit so you don't need to rely upon someone else.

I used to have my water tested at the store where I purchased my fish - the person always told me it was "perfect" and they said that an ammonia level up to 1.0ppm is "no big deal" - which is a big problem. I believe if you brought in tap water they would tell you that your parameters are "perfect". Plus, they use test strips which aren't accurate.

I could be wrong and your tank might be cycled but I'd test the water myself 1st to be sure.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is 13 gallons. I used probably two cups of gravel from her tank that's probably ten years old.

I had the water tested at Petco.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also wanted to add that my mom took water in from her 30 gallon tank to have it tested as well. All but one of her fish (the guppy I put in my tank) died in less than 24 hours. Said her nitrates were SUPER high.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
    Also wanted to add that my mom took water in from her 30 gallon tank to have it tested as well. All but one of her fish (the guppy I put in my tank) died in less than 24 hours. Said her nitrates were SUPER high.
    Well, at least your mom was given a better answer than "everything is perfect" - but the strips don't give a precise reading - like just how high were they? At least she knew why the fish were dying but you can find that out yourself before your fish start dying, you know?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't remember the exact reading on her nitrate levels. It was hot pink on the test strip, though.
    She left for a week and her hubby was feeding them. Maybe he overfed them? A ton?